Average speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

caz

I was just wondering what people would class as a "good average" speed. I currently ride a Trek hybrid and can average about 13.5mph on a good day!! I'm thinking about getting a road bike and have been told that would raise my average by about 2-3mph. I know that the younger/more athletic element can do 20+mph, but as a 47 year old female who's only been riding for 2 years, is my average ok??

I think you would easily cruise at 28kph with a road bike - you will not be able to help it caz...and faster, faster faster!. Hooked :smile:

Mortiroloboy

Average, that covers a wide range of speeds by its very name. On a good club run, depending on who is in the group I can 'average' anything between 17mph or 20mph, obviously sometimes I will only be going at 10mph (uphill) and as much as 40+mph(downhill) 25 -30 mph on straight smooth tarmac (over short distances)for the number crunchers, these two speeds lowest and highest, do not reflect the average speed quoted here as an example of 'average';)

Just build on your speeds, soon you'll be wizzing along, keeping up with cars ( much to the drivers surprise)

caz said:
I was just wondering what people would class as a "good average" speed. I currently ride a Trek hybrid and can average about 13.5mph on a good day!! I'm thinking about getting a road bike and have been told that would raise my average by about 2-3mph. I know that the younger/more athletic element can do 20+mph, but as a 47 year old female who's only been riding for 2 years, is my average ok??

I've got a Ridgeback Hybrid and I average around the same or just under 15 if I really work. With my flat bar roadbike I average around 14.5mph without trying hard. Likewise my dropped bar roadbike I average around 15.5mph without trying any harder. The good thing I find about the dropped bar road bike with a little effort I can achieve much more and for longer distances.

Just a thought, your average speed will be affected by things like traffic, junctions, traffic lights etc. I have a number of sections of my (short) commute where I have to wheel the bike and that hammers my average. 13.5 is perfectly respectable though but a road bike will be faster.

OP
OP
caz

caz

Thanks for that guys! Very interesting.

Aperitif - I'm already hooked on cycling :smile: that's why I'm thinking about getting a road bike - faster and therefore further:biggrin:.

Mortiroloboy - I tend to cycle by myself. When I do go out with a group, it is just a social group therefore we go at the speed of the slowest rider (not me:biggrin: thankfully) so the average goes down to about 10mph! I try to vary my rides, but I'm wondering if the weight of my hybrid is stopping me from going faster, or is it just my age (and gender!!)?

HLaB - Glad to know I'm not far off your average. The fastest I got was when I first changed my tyres from what the Trek originally came with to some slicks recommended by my LBS and I managed to do 14mph, but that was a real effort with good conditions!

Thanks Chuffy - I'm glad you think my speed is respectable - that's a great encouragement.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that speed: I presume that's riding backwards on a unicycle wearing a red nose is it :angry: :smile:

You can get a bit fixated with stats, I'm sometimes tempted to leave the cycle computer off and then judge my ride on how I felt. I don't wear my HR monitor anymore. 13.5 is fine and a road bike will see that increase and as Hlab says a road bike is easier so you will achieve more for less effort.

OP
OP
caz

caz

LOL - thanks Crackle :smile:

I like stats, but try not to get too "fixated" by them. I like to keep a record of how well I'm doing - or not as the case may be.

domtyler

Über Member
I don't have computer on my commuter.

What is point?

walker

Average speed can as some said mean different things. I would say my average speed is around 22mph, but with traffic, hills etc, it drops to around 16.6mph.

A road bike will up your speed, but so will training the right muscles to keep your speed up on a hybrid anyway. It's surprising how easy it is to hold a good speed when you put the effort in.

OP
OP
caz

caz

I suppose I'm asking about a general average for the whole ride. I know traffic conditions and terrain will dictate ones speed. I can get up to about 18 mph on a flat road but drop down to 8mph for what to some of you would be a slight incline :rolleyes:. Having said that, at least I don't feel like I'm going to die when I do reach the top of my incline like I used to when I first started out ;)

Chuffy said:
Just a thought, your average speed will be affected by things like traffic, junctions, traffic lights etc. I have a number of sections of my (short) commute where I have to wheel the bike and that hammers my average. 13.5 is perfectly respectable though but a road bike will be faster.

I agree.

I'd add that speed and safety don't necessarily sit well together. Cycling at the speed that's safe and comfortable for you given the traffic and road conditions is more important than comparing your speed with that of others. Despite what some may say, general cycling is not a race! ;)

OP
OP
caz

caz

Beanzontoast - Yes good thought and totally agree! I am very careful when out riding especially in busy areas.

gbb

Legendary Member
There are many variables caz, and like everything in life, you get out what you put in.
I'm near 50, and average almost 17 mph over 40 miles country riding in the summer....after a long build up over the spring. And i'm pushing all the way ;) but dont overdo it. I can carry on the day when the rides done and not suffer really.
In the winter, i generally average 15mph over 30 miles. Muscles dont work as well, the winds often harder to deal with etc etc.

17 mph.....listening to some posts in the past, its apparently slow :ohmy:, but you gotta go some to up the average by even 1 mph....or be a lot younger than me :rolleyes:

Top Bottom