Awful headaches after wearing a helmet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I've just finished a heck of a hard ride ( well I finished at 12 but) and despite it being one heck of an effort I feel fine, apart from my head, I always seem to get the worst headache in the world after wearing a helmet , why ?

does this mean you don't get headaches without helmets?

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
does this mean you don't get headaches without helmets?

Spot on mate

I would try another helmet. Constant pressure on some parts of the skull can cause a headache. As someone else mentioned, sunglasses can be a common cause if the arms press too hard on the head. If you try another helmet it will likely apply pressure in a different place which may or may not make matters better.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I would try another helmet. Constant pressure on some parts of the skull can cause a headache. As someone else mentioned, sunglasses can be a common cause if the arms press too hard on the head. If you try another helmet it will likely apply pressure in a different place which may or may not make matters better.
That is a very good point. Great call :thumbsup:

Nebulous

Guru
I've a pretty big head, and at one point a long time ago I was in a car accident where I probably had a depressed fracture of the skull. I had a 5 or 6 year old helmet which gave me a headache every time I wore it. It started where I had the head injury and eventually spread to the whole right-side of my head.

At the end of last year I took up cycling quite seriously and got a Specialized max helmet, which is a funny looking object, designed for big heads and relatively cheap. I haven't had a headache since, in fact I hadn't even thought about it for months until reading your post.

The point isn't to rush out and buy a 'Max' but that all helmets are not the same- and fit is very important.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I've a pretty big head, and at one point a long time ago I was in a car accident where I probably had a depressed fracture of the skull. I had a 5 or 6 year old helmet which gave me a headache every time I wore it. It started where I had the head injury and eventually spread to the whole right-side of my head.

At the end of last year I took up cycling quite seriously and got a Specialized max helmet, which is a funny looking object, designed for big heads and relatively cheap. I haven't had a headache since, in fact I hadn't even thought about it for months until reading your post.

The point isn't to rush out and buy a 'Max' but that all helmets are not the same- and fit is very important.

Good point well made

Ps that sounds nasty

Norm

[QUOTE 1549316"] Are you eating properly before and during? If your diet isn't right then you're opening yourself up for all kinds of symptoms. [/quote] And drinking. I get headaches if I don't drink (dehydration is an obvious thing... unless you are suffering from it at the time) but I think that history suggests that eating correctly might also be a factor in this case.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
And drinking. I get headaches if I don't drink (dehydration is an obvious thing... unless you are suffering from it at the time) but I think that history suggests that eating correctly might also be a factor in this case.

But

It's never been an issue on any other ride before

Only now I'm wearing a helmet ( same issues on commute too)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Is it an all over ache or just in one spot. In one spot then I would say too tight. If not, could be dehydration. What did you drink on the 55 miles. Me would be a couple of bottles of energy drink and a banana and a flapjack or cereal bar.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Is it an all over ache or just in one spot. In one spot then I would say too tight. If not, could be dehydration. What did you drink on the 55 miles. Me would be a couple of bottles of energy drink and a banana and a flapjack or cereal bar.

Had a couple of bottles and 3 gels

It's an all over headache tbh

Top Bottom