Awful headaches after wearing a helmet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david1701

still thinking holistically were the gels a new type? am allergic to caffeine and more than 1 or 2 coffees gives me a cracker of a headache

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Dehydration from the very large effort you are putting in would be my thought Gaz.
Do you have plenty to drink afterwards?

Hummmmmm , I've still got it this morning , & it seems just as bad as yesterday , would that be indicative of dehydration ? I drank a total of 3-4 l of fluid yesterday afternoon / evening

vickster

Legendary Member
The chin strap needs to be fairly tight as I was told recently, should be able to get 2 fingers in, no more...otherwise you may as well not bother as it may just come off and you could end up with an even bigger headache. ;)

I'd blame dehydration/nutrition - most headaches are due to the former. It's also much cooler now, I find cold air gives me a headache due to a history of sinus issues, have you had a cold recently?

Otherwise, why are you wearing the helmet now, when you never have done before?

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
The chin strap needs to be fairly tight as I was told recently, should be able to get 2 fingers in, no more...otherwise you may as well not bother as it may just come off and you could end up with an even bigger headache.

I'd blame dehydration/nutrition - most headaches are due to the former. It's also much cooler now, I find cold air gives me a headache due to a history of sinus issues, have you had a cold recently?

Otherwise, why are you wearing the helmet now, when you never have done before?

No not had a cold, I worse the helmet yesterday due to some almost 50 mph descents ( seemed the sensible thing to do ) also I had a spill on the commute in rain a few weeks ago and started to wear it after that, but stopped last week ( and so did the headaches )

Hummmmmm , I've still got it this morning , & it seems just as bad as yesterday , would that be indicative of dehydration ? I drank a total of 3-4 l of fluid yesterday afternoon / evening

This link tells how much water you should drink relative to your weight and amount of exercise

I worse the helmet yesterday due to some almost 50 mph descents ( seemed the sensible thing to do )

It might seem the sensible thing to do but a little more analysis says its not. First if you hit something at that speed its only about 16 times the design limit of the helmet. Its hardly sensible to use protective equipment to protect that far outside its design envelope. It like using a bullet proof vest to protect against a howitzer round.

Second an EN1078 helmet is designed to absorb 50-70J of impact energy for a medium sized helmet (35-46J for a small helmet, 64-90J for a large helmet). At 50 mph a 300g helmet itself has a kinetic energy of 75J which is added to the impact energy of your head. So a medium or small size helmet will not even protect you from itself at those speeds.

Third, would you have gone at 50mph without a helmet or did you go faster in the belief you were protected when in fact you probably weren't?

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
It might seem the sensible thing to do but a little more analysis says its not. First if you hit something at that speed its only about 16 times the design limit of the helmet. Its hardly sensible to use protective equipment to protect that far outside its design envelope. It like using a bullet proof vest to protect against a howitzer round.

Second an EN1078 helmet is designed to absorb 50-70J of impact energy for a medium sized helmet (35-46J for a small helmet, 64-90J for a large helmet). At 50 mph a 300g helmet itself has a kinetic energy of 75J which is added to the impact energy of your head. So a medium or small size helmet will not even protect you from itself at those speeds.

Third, would you have gone at 50mph without a helmet or did you go faster in the belief you were protected when in fact you probably weren't?

I was fully intent on hitting as high a speed as I could, regardless of the helmet :smile:

Andrew_P

In between here and there
The most important question is why after all your miles have you decided to wear a helmet?

Top Bottom