Awful headaches after wearing a helmet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I would have to fit pedals to a water butt

Yep. I'm not sure who comes up with these figures but I am certain they are not cyclists!

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I could only get it to go to 4hrs exercise, but I bike for 9/10 hrs sometimes, as I am so slow.

I plugged in 4 hours as a baseline as well. Think 7 hours is the longest I have been in the saddle for but it may have been longer. The most water/fluid I ever carry is a 3lrt camelbak bladder and 2/750mm bottles. I have never come home with them empty apart from times when I have given drinks to others and once when I used the contents of my camelbak bladder to put a fire out!

twobiker

I plugged in 4 hours as a baseline as well. Think 7 hours is the longest I have been in the saddle for but it may have been longer. The most water/fluid I ever carry is a 3lrt camelbak bladder and 2/750mm bottles. I have never come home with them empty apart from times when I have given drinks to others and once when I used the contents of my camelbak bladder to put a fire out!
If I am going a long way I try and buy some on the way but I have three holders on my tourer and carry one 750ml and two 500mls as a starter,as one ride has a thirty mile section with no shops, when one is empty I put some of those finger of fudge in it, stops them melting in my pocket.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Gaz, I'm not entirely convinced it's helmet fit only. I sometimes get a 'pressure' headache, but that's when the helmet is too tight.

Anyway - have you taken any paracetemol to get rid of the headache ? - It's good stuff. :biggrin:

For that 55 miler, at a good speed (I checked your garmin stats :biggrin: ), you should also be eating real food. 3 gels and two bottles - what was in the bottles ? Argh - sugar !

The gels and energy drinks are relatively quick release carbohydrate - i.e. you'll use them up quickly, but won't be bad like pure sugar and cause a massive insulin hit - it's slow enough not to cause a big rise in insulin production. I'd never recommend anything like sweets/choc/coke etc on a ride as this will kick in insulin to level out this sudden sugar rush, and you'll be a in a worse place after.

As a youngster, I only did this once/twice within my first year or two. Feeling bad, real bad, lights flashing in my eyes, grabbed a couple of cans of coke from a butty van at the top of Long Hill. Felt great for 5 miles, then a massive blood sugar crash. Far worse. Crawled home. Repeated that, on one of my first 25 mile TT's - some mates gave me some Kendal Mint Cake part way through, absolute mistake (if you've never had it, it's minty sugar - certainly not a cake).

Fortunately I soon sorted my ride diet, and most importantly the race diet.

Most important to any ride of 3 hours and above is pre ride food - ideal is oats/musili or some decent cereal, maybe some toast, some fruit and wait for it, plenty of fluids before hand. In the morning you are de-hydrated, so it's important both on long rides and on the commute to drink.

I even drink a bottle of water over my 11 mile commute in the morning

I can only compare what food I eat over a 100 mile sportive.

3 litres of energy drink, 4 gels, 4 bananas, a malt loaf broken into 5 servings, 4 oat bars. Only the banana's were from the feed with energy drink top up. Gels, malt loaf and oat bars were in my jersey pocket.

Pre ride was big bowl of porridge, 2-3 bananas (on top of the feed station ones), tea, and then 2 bottles of drink - one driving to the event and one whilst getting changed. All this meant I was able to ride at a very good pace, no sign of any 'bonk', and was fine at the end.

Regular headaches - something is a miss, certainly have a chat with your GP. I think the Helmet thing is a co-incidence.

You are at a point where you don't have that much body fat to keep going, you've got there, but now you'll find you need to eat a significant amount of food. I reccon, at high intensity cycling, you'll burn 800-1000 cals an hour. So as a minimum, you need to find 1000 extra cals every day if doing a good work out when commuting.

Norm

So I should drink 10 water bottles worth during an average ride. So that for a game of soldiers!
To cover this one and the 'who comes up with it' comment, probably someone who can read as it's giving you the recommended daily intake, not what you should be drinking during the ride.

And yes, if you were to regularly exercise for 7 hours a day (remember, that's the time working hard, not just cruising) then you should be looking at more than a few litres as a daily intake.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
To cover this one and the 'who comes up with it' comment, probably someone who can read as it's giving you the recommended daily intake, not what you should be drinking during the ride.

And yes, if you were to regularly exercise for 7 hours a day (remember, that's the time working hard, not just cruising) then you should be looking at more than a few litres as a daily intake.

Norm we really need to get a tongue in check flag. As it is I drink the recommended amount of water and have been told by several GP's I drink too much water.

twobiker

I did not think that when doing my 100mls I was just cruising, but the calculator does not cover a wide enough range and is just a guide, we are all different.

Norm

Maybe we do as I'm not sure tongue in cheek is appropriate in a thread in the health section.

Especially on a thread where someone with the dietary issues which Gaz has previously reported is looking for advice on prolonged headaches.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Maybe we do as I'm not sure tongue in cheek is appropriate in a thread in the health section.

Especially on a thread where someone with the dietary issues which Gaz has previously reported is looking for advice on prolonged headaches.

As I said the advice seems to be conflicting. Many GP's saying I drink too much water and a website designed by a water charity telling me I drink the right amount. That is not a huge amount of help either.

potsy

Rambler
I think Fossy has made some good points there Gaz, I have a feeling you are not eating/drinking anywhere near enough for a ride like that.
It's no secret that you struggle to hit your daily calorie intake on a normal day, so when you throw a 60 mile hihg speed ride in too with only an extra couple of gels and energy drink, it's no wonder you feel rough/headachey.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
This link tells how much water you should drink relative to your weight and amount of exercise

The figures that calculator produces are absolutely stupid! According to that, I should have drunk something like 13.5 litres of water on yesterday's forum ride and afterwards! I actually drank about 4 litres and most people would consider that quite a lot.

I'd be in grave danger of suffering from water intoxication if I drank that much in a day.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
On high intensity rides, think of your body as a machine. i.e. it won't just run on pertol or diesel, in needs oil/grease/maintenance to keep it going - so you need to mix up the fuel sources.

Top Bottom