Axa Motor Insurance accepts that drivers text while at the wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Many First Leeds buses are carrying adverts for motor insurance on their back ends. Probably not just Leeds buses either.

And the posters feature - you couldn't make this up - a driver, pictured at the wheel of his car, apparently driving home. He's delayed, ....... so he's TEXTING a message to his partner while driving!

Axa Motor Insurance "normalising" illegal behaviour. One for the Advertising Standards Authority :gun: !

sheddy

Legendary Member
pics please

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I've seen similar ads (but can't remember who for!), with women putting make up on etc - the tag line on the advert is that 'careful drivers get X% discount) - the implication being that the person shown would not qualify for the discount. Are you sure it wasn't one of those ads?

OP
OP
G
I've seen similar ads (but can't remember who for!), with women putting make up on etc - the tag line on the advert is that 'careful drivers get X% discount) - the implication being that the person shown would not qualify for the discount. Are you sure it wasn't one of those ads?

Hmm - you could be right; the tag line was pretty similar iirc.

Kinda ambiguous if it was this though - one look and the message I "read" was about being sensible, safe and patient even if you are going to be late.

OP
OP
G
That's the one - except when you see it on the bus, the text message is very clear. Summat along the lines of "Delayed by traffic, dear - will be 20 minutes late".

snorri

Legendary Member
That's the one - except when you see it on the bus, the text message is very clear. Summat along the lines of "Delayed by traffic, dear - will be 20 minutes late".
The message I read from the advert is "don't be a risky driver and expect to receive our 90% discount". The graphic of a driver texting just lets you know what AXA considers to be risky driving, if you were in any doubt.
I don't find anything objectionable about this ad., in fact it is a reminder to all drivers that texting and driving is dangerous.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I think the problem is although it it stating that texting is dangerous it does not show that it is illegal , so although it does not condone texting it does not say " do not txt " but " do not txt if you want a bit cheaper insurance "

400bhp

Guru
I see your point Cyber - I guess it's like having an advert based on someone perceived to be drunk behind the wheel.There would be "outrage" if there was such a poster.

It's an interesting one. I think texting/speaking on a mobile phone whilst driving still isn't see as socially unacceptable by the masses (hence the ad).

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Now that talking on your 'phone is illegal I have noticed a number of "stealth texters": looking down at the centre console, where their left arm is or in their laps.

Usually this is at lights or when the traffic is otherwise stopped. Another dead giveaway is that the lights change or the traffic moves off and they don't, followed by sudden acceleration when they start paying attention again.

Of course, given that vehicle insurance payouts were far greater than income from policy payments in 2010 should we really not be asking about he wisdom of a 90% discount?

2 billion pounds was diverted from household and other insurance to prop up the motor insurance...........why should householders subsidise any driver's insurance no matter how safe they are

OP
OP
G
Of course, given that vehicle insurance payouts were far greater than income from policy payments in 2010 should we really not be asking about he wisdom of a 90% discount?

2 billion pounds was diverted from household and other insurance to prop up the motor insurance...........why should householders subsidise any driver's insurance no matter how safe they are

+1

Top Bottom