Baby Boomers, Millennials, Generation X, etc...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I was born when Clement Atlee was PM and George VI was still in the Palace., in 1950. When I was a boy, I was oblivious to the WW2, but now when I think about it, it's hard to imagine that only 5 years before I was born, we were still at war.
Not only that, but also when you were born, there was still rationing in place!

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Not only that, but also when you were born, there was still rationing in place!
My parents are both boomers and remember rationing. My mum remembers being very disappointed when she had her first banana. I guess they didn’t travel that well in those days.

What amazes me is that they were both born before the NHS was created. So there was no universal health care so my grandparents would have had to pay for midwife services.

And we didn't have a TV. When eventually we did get a TV, we had to get up from the sofa and walk to the set to turn it on and off. Can you imagine now, living without a remote control.
20211213_221550.png

And we didn't have a TV. When eventually we did get a TV, we had to get up from the sofa and walk to the set to turn it on and off. Can you imagine now, living without a remote control.
and you had to wait a small age for the thing to "warm up" - such is progress that some hi-tech tellys now have the same disability - though I think they call it "booting up"/downloading your furtive viewing habits and family secrets to the control centre.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

That was still the case in the 1980s. Some Millenials would have been toddlers when remote controls were in the future for most.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
as a Gen X I can remember the hardship of only having 3 channels.
My first TV had a tuner. You had to turn a dial to find the channels. None of these fancy buttons.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
My parents are both boomers and remember rationing. My mum remembers being very disappointed when she had her first banana. I guess they didn’t travel that well in those days.
I think banana disappointment was not uncommon, my dad remembered that. After years of hearing about these mystery luxury fruit he found it a bit dry and dull. Mind you he wasn't a boomer, he was (checks) "silent generation" never heard of that before.

I'm a boomer.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Your parents experience also impacts your own. My parents lived through Second World War and rationing. As kids we were brought up to finish everything on your plate and think of the starving elsewhere. As consequence you tend to eat everything up regardless of portion size. We are also not fussy eaters. Maybe this has helped towards the Obesity crisis in times of plenty.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Your parents experience also impacts your own. My parents lived through Second World War and rationing. As kids we were brought up to finish everything on your plate and think of the starving elsewhere. As consequence you tend to eat everything up regardless of portion size. We are also not fussy eaters. Maybe this has helped towards the Obesity crisis in times of plenty.

Excellent! I can blame my parents for my waist line! It is not my fault after all ;)

Top Bottom