Baby Boomers, Millennials, Generation X, etc...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
THREE CHANNELS!!!

you were lucky

when I was a kid we only had 2

We didn’t have tv until I was 11 (1958), I think there was only BBC1? Plus, it wasn’t on all day, and finished at 10:00pm(?).

Colour didn’t come until I was married and had my own place, probably around 1972..

DRM

Guru
My uncle got a colour tv in 1973, which was delivered in time for the FA cup final that very morning, there was me, my dad, my 2 mates from the street their dads and some others all expecting to see Sunderland get a walloping in glorious technicolour, oh how disappointed we all were!

My uncle got a colour tv in 1973, which was delivered in time for the FA cup final that very morning, there was me, my dad, my 2 mates from the street their dads and some others all expecting to see Sunderland get a walloping in glorious technicolour, oh how disappointed we all were!
Surprisingly a Baby Boomer here, just, by the skin of my teeth (yes, I do still have them), despite being born 19 years after WWII ended.

Blimey, I remember going round to a friend's of my Dad's to watch that match (as our TV had broken down, and repair man not been round, remember that). Only difference for us, and presumably, the rest of the country outside Leeds, was we were so chuffed for Sunderland, David v Goliath and all that.

DRM

Guru
Surprisingly a Baby Boomer here, just, by the skin of my teeth (yes, I do still have them), despite being born 19 years after WWII ended.

Blimey, I remember going round to a friend's of my Dad's to watch that match (as our TV had broken down, and repair man not been round, remember that). Only difference for us, and presumably, the rest of the country outside Leeds, was we were so chuffed for Sunderland, David v Goliath and all that.
What had made it worse was all the pushing for the TV rental shop to deliver and install it in time, I do recall them being repaired, I did the course at college electronics & tv repair, me and a mate used to buy old ex rental Phillips tv’s for a fiver, repair them and sell them on for a decent profit and split the proceeds

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
What had made it worse was all the pushing for the TV rental shop to deliver and install it in time, I do recall them being repaired, I did the course at college electronics & tv repair, me and a mate used to buy old ex rental Phillips tv’s for a fiver, repair them and sell them on for a decent profit and split the proceeds
My neighbour’s aunts died last year aged about 85.
She was still paying £40 a month to rent a TV. A total scandal and any salesman with a conscience would have said no.
She must have spent a fortune over the years.

I wouldn’t be sure about “everyone”, my teenage years were the 60’s; free love, a haze of drugs, somehow, I managed to miss most of it! ;)
the swinging 60s barely existed for most folk, even in London.
It was a very small scene amidst a still brown tatty london.
I do remember when very young seeing a doc at the local cinema run by two old ladies on the end of the 60s - so basically in small town lancs had already missed it anyway. I have a vague idea that me and my mates waiting to see whatever feature thought "what was that all about then"?

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Indeed, everyone was having sex after the Second World War. Sane as First World War really. The roaring twenties, and forties / fifties had a lot in common.
Sex didn't exist before WW2, fact.

DRM

Guru
She was still paying £40 a month to rent a TV. A total scandal and any salesman with a conscience would have said no.
That’s appalling, I didn’t think any TV rental shops existed anymore, there are those pay monthly places but tele’s are so cheap they don’t get repaired anymore, just replaced

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

Used to come across this kind of thing quite frequently, when doing voluntary work with people with financial problems (no wonder they had financial problems!). I gave up the voluntary work a few years ago, but, sadly, it doesn't surprise me such things are still happening.

Venod

Eh up
I wouldn’t be sure about “everyone”, my teenage years were the 60’s; free love, a haze of drugs, somehow, I managed to miss most of it!

I do believe the 60's was the decade that changed everything from a dowdy conventional society to a more vibrant freer thinking existence.

I remember this match in colour I was at a wedding and the blokes kept disappearing out of the reception into the bar to check out the score, the wedding also had a groom with the longest hair there, longer than any of the women in attendance.

Sharky

Guru
I do believe the 60's was the decade that changed everything from a dowdy conventional society to a more vibrant freer thinking existence.
I was born 1950, so started secondary school in 1961. This coincided with the emergence of the Beatles and other Mersey sounds. And being on Merseyside it just seemed like a very vibrant decade.

Top Bottom