Baby sitting.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swansonj

Guru
I have a friend who lives near Geneva and once, when all other options had been exhausted, flew her brother from Sweden to babysit three under tens for one night.

I suppose we all handle relationships different but the way you opened your post says enough to me," my wifes daughter" do you not see her as your daughter , or even step daughter (now theres a phrase I hate, step son or daughter) do you see her children as your grandchildren, is this the same part of your family that you didn't want at your house using your electricity while you wasn't there.
and finally is there a reason that you haven't mentioned, personally I would be there like a shot. but I'm lucky, my daughter and grandaughter live really close... next door in fact

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I have a friend who lives near Geneva and once, when all other options had been exhausted, flew her brother from Sweden to babysit three under tens for one night.

I think you may have hit on a solution to the OP's dilemma. North Wales to Devon can't be much more than 200 miles, if that. Less than 2 hours in a light aircraft, with no traffic jams ...

PaulSB

Legendary Member
If I was in a similar situation my hope would be one of my children was invited to a wedding, special event etc. Under those circumstances I would find it entirely reasonable too ask grandparents to sit for the weekend.

At 14 and 16 it’s more a question of being around, providing meals and perhaps a lift somewhere. Not really babysitting in my book.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
My wife's daughter, who lives in Devon, asked us if we could baby sit for her next week end. She lives 330 miles away so that would be a 660 miles journey on M6 and M5 . I said "No" due to distance involved for just a few days. Her husband offered to pay for the fuel but I still refused on the ground that if we do it this time, they will take it for granted next time. My wife, on the other hand, has said she will do it so it will be a train journey for her as I stick to my guns. I expect the "do gooders" on this site to turn against me now with excuses like: family comes first, relationships etc.... Fire away.
Up to you it's your choice, might be a nice little break in Devon though plus maybe the chance to bond with your wife's grandchildren.

Sandra6

Veteran
Mr6 and I disagree regularly on this, hypothetical to us, topic.
We had very little help with our children when they were little, my mother told me quite unprompted that she'd raised her children and she wasn't going to raise mine. So on the rare occasion I needed to I used to ask my dad to watch them - in her house, with her there. :becool: I'd like to be a better grandparent than her so I'd probably be quite happy to go and babysit, but I suppose it depends how frequent the requests are - every week/month/year? - and what the occasion was.
As they are older children, could they not get the train to you for the weekend instead? then you may feel less put out by distance and your wife can still see them?

I suppose we all handle relationships different but the way you opened your post says enough to me," my wifes daughter" do you not see her as your daughter , or even step daughter (now theres a phrase I hate, step son or daughter) do you see her children as your grandchildren,

That's one TMN to me...
As they are older children, could they not get the train to you for the weekend instead?
And another!

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I think you may have hit on a solution to the OP's dilemma. North Wales to Devon can't be much more than 200 miles, if that. Less than 2 hours in a light aircraft, with no traffic jams ...
From my front door to their front door is actually 330 miles. Could be 200 as the crow flies though.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I suppose we all handle relationships different but the way you opened your post says enough to me," my wifes daughter" do you not see her as your daughter , or even step daughter (now theres a phrase I hate, step son or daughter) do you see her children as your grandchildren, is this the same part of your family that you didn't want at your house using your electricity while you wasn't there.
and finally is there a reason that you haven't mentioned, personally I would be there like a shot. but I'm lucky, my daughter and grandaughter live really close... next door in fact
Really , I have a very good relationship with all of them and they all regard me as their dad. In public, I always introduce them as " my daughters" . I also have one daughter and one son of my own and they all see each other as brothers and sisters.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
If it was just 100 miles away, I wouldn't hesitate and do it but the thought of travelling on the M6 and M5 on a Friday and Monday , stuck in traffic jams and taking a good 7 hours each way puts me off.

Leave earlier on the Friday to avoid the jams and leave slightly later Monday for the same reason. A stop off on the way, away from the motorway for 2 - 3 hours, say a meal, with a different stop on the way back, breaks up the journey.
Bonuses all round. - Grandparental duties fulfilled, offspring happy and most of all, a happy spouse. :thumbsup:

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
My in laws have grandchildren in Australia who they've never seen. I was going to say I'm sure they'd make the trip, but actually - they wouldn't.

But I would hope that when my kids have children, I'll be nicer than them. But none of us know your family dynamics, so nobody can really judge.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I'd see it as an exciting opportunity for a short break. You don't have to worry about bed time shenanigans or nappy changing. Your wife gets to see her grandchildren. Win win. Make a road trip out of it.

Posting on here suggests that you are already feeling guilty about protesting, and require affirmation. If you've made your decision then fine, it's entirely up to you. I don't know your wife.

Top Bottom