Baby sitting.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Colin_P

Guru
I'm currently middle aged and ain't no do-gooder [*], but when I grow up into a proper grumpy old man, I'd go and visit but I'd round the mileage up by six miles and make it 666 :okay:

[*] Do-gooder'ing is such a subjective thing. I do a lot of good and would even stop and help an social angst ridden left wing cyclist (I can tell and spot them) fix a puncture at the side of the road, maybe even gift them a new inner tube for absolutely nothing in return except to cheer them up a bit as gawd knows they need usually need cheering up.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I can see why such a long trip is unappealing. I hate long drives and one of my foibles is my fierce independence. Long cycle trips are another thing. But make it a treat and a positive reason to have a trip away with your wife and to get to know your young folk. Ever stopped to think how excited they may be to have you to visit?

My kids don’t have any family on my side and their mother who lives 10 miles away has all her family stashed away in Oz. (Save her sister who lives 4-5 hours away)

Locally, people have fairly large family networks and you often see aunts, uncles and grandparents on the school run. The parents are able to go on long weekends without the kids and enjoy evenings out with each other. I have never had this so I would give anything to involve my kids with their elders for many reasons. And when I am an old fart, I for one can’t wait to have more family around my feet.

Give a little and I’m fairly sure you’ll get a lot back from being a bit more mindful of the big picture.

Sandra6

Veteran
Those that wouldn't travel that distance to babysit at request, would you travel that distance to visit of your own volition?
If the op is unwilling to put the miles inn , when will they see the grandchildren at all?
Mine haven't seen their grandparents for over three years, in part because of their insistance that my mother "can't" travel - she does however manage to get all the way to London to see her mother. I think distance is just a convenient excuse to disguise lack of desire.

Sandra6

Veteran
fark it, I'm going to answer this.

Yes, so proud, because nothing makes me prouder than being ignored - oh, except someone trying to shame me for pointing out I've been ignored. That makes me really proud.
I'm sorry, I didn't understand your reply to me at the time. I didn't ignore you, I skimmed through some replies and must've missed yours.
Sometimes people have the same opinon/thought/idea and express it.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
MOD NOTE
Back up everyone and put the toys down.

The OP is asking for opinions, if someone does not agree with your opinion that is their choice and their right. Please don't take personal grudges up on the threads. If you don't like what someone is saying and cannot be respectful in your reply don't bother replying.

Reactions: gbb
I'm sorry, I didn't understand your reply to me at the time. I didn't ignore you, I skimmed through some replies and must've missed yours.
Sometimes people have the same opinon/thought/idea and express it.
Sure. It's ok for you not to notice my posts. You have not duty to read them. My low key response that you and I had said the same thing warranted the censure of a third person is what annoys me.

Edit: TMN in this context means "I already said that"

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I can see the babysitting problem from both sides. As a young parent whose own parents worked all day everyday, i never asked my parents to babysit for me and we lived around 20 miles from each other. I would have loved to have had a break.

As a grandparent, i have looked after my grandchildren a hell of a lot, for weeks when my son went away on business, and overnight stays when my daughter went away for the weekend etc, and i have driven my grandchildren thousands of miles over the years, and their friends. I am the go to person when it comes to lifts, picking ill children up from school, driving 50 miles just to take them to school when they miss the school bus, in fact i am the only person anyone calls when a lift or help is needed.

But, and this is a big but, i can certainly understand the OP not wanting a round trip of 660 miles just to babysit, unless this is a very special occassion, and to be honest the daughter and son in law are asking a hell of a lot of their parents. This isn't a jaunt just down the road after all.

As others have said, maybe the children could get the train, they are not babies after all. Better still the children must have friends. Couldn't their mum and dad ask the parents of their friends if they could help, and in return, if those parents need help for a special occassion, the favour could be returned.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
fark it, I'm going to answer this.

Yes, so proud, because nothing makes me prouder than being ignored - oh, except someone trying to shame me for pointing out I've been ignored. That makes me really proud.
That was a slow burner!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I think one or two of the younger posters have underestimated the daunting nature of a long car journey for someone in their late 60s.

I'm not there yet, but already in my 50s I'm less inclined to drive a long way than I was 10 or 15 years ago.

My endearing mother is now not keen on car journeys which take much longer than an hour, even though my older brother would do the driving in his nice Mercedes.

gbb

Legendary Member
It is a lot to ask, 330 miles each way, that's somewhere IRO 7 hours driving each way..sorry, I see you already have that worked out. Assuming we were free and didn't see the kids, grandkids very often, I'd probably go for it and let them pay the petrol...which for me would be IRO £40 each way (assuming around 50 mpg)...and make a good time of it.
We're suckers for the grandkids, happily, we'd do almost anything for them...but that is a heck of an ask.

It is what you make it, if you're free, make it more than just a babysit....see family, see some sights and enjoy a few days away.

I just asked the wife...she said she would...in an instant. ^_^

Top Bottom