Back in 3 saddles after 2 years

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BenScoobert

So we decided to eliminate the need for a baby sitter as an excuse for cycling.
I was always happy to carry a nipper in a seat on my bike, but when the 2nd boy came along she wasn't comfortable carrying a passenger.

So we shelled out for a weehoo igo 2, of course I was towing about 50kg with the boys, 172kg all up I reckon.

1st trip in 2 years was 4.4 miles around pennine hills, http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/341091337/243766, I'm really pleased we finished our intended trip, I planned it so at any point we could quit and almost freewheel home.

It was tough as you can imagine, but 1st gear on all hills, really happy, the igo 2 towed well, it had a little wobble due to me using the wrong clamp on my saddle stem, swapped that out when I got back. I recommend it, well built but a little heavy.

Attachments

• 2014-05-17 11.41.22.jpg
    2014-05-17 11.41.22.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 115
OP
OP
BenScoobert

BenScoobert

here's the other one the wife took

Attachments

• 10271487_10152433812425987_9063786647267584492_n.jpg
    10271487_10152433812425987_9063786647267584492_n.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 106

macbikes

That's brilliant, didn't know you could get a double. I hope they helped pedal you up the hills? ^_^

OP
OP
BenScoobert

BenScoobert

That's brilliant, didn't know you could get a double. I hope they helped pedal you up the hills? ^_^
Well his legs go round, sometimes forwards, sometimes backwards. Today I hoped to do the same ride in a little less time, I underestimated how bruised and chafed I actually am, so we got 1 mile to a park. I recovered a few minutes then we free wheeled home.
Will probably try again tuesday.

These need two things...

VERY good brakes on the towing bike, and a skilled rider

The problem is that when he kids move there is a "flick" that passes to the towing bike, with one child this is manageable, but with two it can be dangerous

I preferred the U+2 because with two rear wheels it was more stable and did not throw the steering on the towing bike off

OP
OP
BenScoobert

BenScoobert

I fitted sintered pads as the basic ones were worrying on these pennine hills.

The igo2 solves some of the flick by not being rigid to your bike. I thought it was getting slack so I stiffened it up, it was virtually impossible to ride, I got about 1 mile and took it apart at the side of the road back to stock setup.

I can't put my 2 boys side by side on those type of trailers as they will fight, also they can't peddle like on this one.

Top Bottom