Back in the saddle with a prolapsed disc in my spine.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jeltz

Veteran
Baby steps today!

Last year saw me with one injury/ailment after another culminating with sciatica due to a prolapsed disc at Christmas. Recovery is ongoing and frustratingly slow but finally got back on my bike today. Only 45 mins along a local cycle track but at least its a start.

I've been left with numbness in my right leg and a slight loss of power in my right foot as the disc is irritating the nerves which "control" those limbs but the amount of my leg which is affected is much less than initially was and thankfully the sciatic pain only lasted a few weeks.The Orthopaedics and Physios were all very clear that this may be my lot, 43 is a prime age to get these problems and their prime concern was that it didn't get worse rather than it getting better :sad:

My physio had said that I should build up the cycling in 5 minute intervals but after a couple of goes on a static exercise bike I thought a go on a real one was in order and since I live half a mile up a hill its pointless trying to do shorter runs than I did today.

Anyway my daughter wanted to ride her bike down the cycle track, she's 11, and we didn't feel that she should go out on her own to do that so it was an ideal opportunity.

The good thing is that the numbness (which always gets worse after exercise) wasn't any worse that it usually is after I've walked the dog so hopefully I'll be able to build up more. Whether I shall get back to 50+ mile runs I don't know but I certainly hope to get back to 30 milers.

I think I might have to get a hybrid :sad: for a more upright riding position than my road bike, but we'll see.

Good to be back in the saddle though as its been over a year now.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My old climbing buddy has a long history of back problems and sciatica after various rugby injuries. He wanted to take up cycling so he got a bike fit session from Paul Hewitt and ended up buying an Orbea. He hasn't had a moment of pain on or off the bike since and thanks to cycling he feels his back is actually stronger now. Worth considering

Paul99

Über Member
I've got 2 prolapsed discs in my neck following an accident I was involved in. Recovery is indeed slow and I can only express my sympathies. Keep up with any excercises that the physios give you, it's most important that you keep the injured area "mobile" to stop any 'seizing up'. I didn't do this and in time my mobility worsened to such an extent that i couldn't even turn my head to the right.

With regard to the hybrid, I am using a CX bike as the geo is slightly more upright than an out an out road bike, so have a look at a few of these aswell.

Good luck with your recovery.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Another sufferer here. X-ray followed by MRI have shown L4 and L5 discs herniated and bulging. I have had numbness in my left leg and foot ever since having sciatica 3 years ago. The doc didn't recommend surgery at this stage and thought I should give physio a go. Just got a letter asking me to phone to make an appointment so I will give it a go, even if it is just to pick their brains re stretches, core exercises, etc.

I have carried on cycling. Some days virtually no pain, others, when working hard or doing more hilly work or pushing into headwinds I start to suffer. It can vary from just a mild ache all the way through to almost going into spasms on a bad day but thankfully they seem to be rarer as I think the cycling has actually helped.

Hope you get sorted out too. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
jeltz

jeltz

Veteran
Good news, I've done 2 "real" rides in 2 days only 12.5 miles each but its hilly around here and I'm happy that I managed to do them in an hour while being quite careful, the back is holding up very well so far, in fact I'd say that it feel better for the exercise.

I'm reckoning on a 2 days on 1 day off regime so its a rest day for me today and maybe try to do 20 miles tomorrow which is my day off. I'm more than a stone heavier than I was when I was riding last and I could do with shifting that, Endomondo suggests that these rides have burned off about 760 calories each while my Garmin is saying about 900, don't know which to believe if either. I've ordered a new front light so I've no excuses with the nights drawing in.

Top Bottom