Back Stretching Bench!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rockn Robin

I posted a thread earlier about back pain (Darn back!!), but I thought I would post another thread so that others might not miss this. I came across a device that might help those who have back issues. I just recently started therapy for my back, and part of the therapy is in a pool. Holding onto a flotation device, I have weights on my ankles to pull down on the spine. I find it helps, but it will be over time that one will see proper results. Since I don't have a pool at home, a back stretching bench should render similar results. It's called the Stamina Inline Back Stretch Bench. It kind of stirs up thoughts of a torture chamber device HAHAHA. You can achieve similar results with an inversion table, but my therapist suggested against that as a lot of people have had health issues using it due to the flow of blood to the brain.

I'm seriously thinking of ordering one of these benches. Here are some short videos:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4QDD5IKPmM

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih1wQr4ybRE

You can also purchase a harness as well:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlavkNc_IGQ

I hope this will help those of you who are suffering with low back pain like myself.

Cheers everyone.

Edit: It would be a good idea to check with your doctor and/therapist first before purchasing such a devise.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I spent 10 days in spinal traction before my op. I would never wish to repeat the process. It was agony

Doing exercises in the pool is completely different to on dry land as you have water providing support. I wouldn’t do anything on YouTube without the express advise and supervision from your PT!! Those videos are designed to sell a product surely. Not offer considered and tailored medical advice

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

I spent 10 days in spinal traction. I would never wish to repeat the process. It was agony

Doing exercises in the pool is completely different to on dry land as you have water providing support. I wouldn’t do anything on YouTube without the express advise and supervision from your PT!! Those videos are designed to sell a product surely. Not offer considered and tailored medical advice

I’m very sorry your spinal traction was so painful for you. I do agree with what you are saying regarding purchasing such machines on the Internet. The machine in question is available for sale at a local store here. They sell excellent furniture for the back. I hope they have it in stock so I can try it.

Short spinal traction sessions of about 10 minutes is what my therapist suggested for me in the pool since there are numerous other exercises they have me do in the water as well.

In regards to the machine, I am thinking of ordering it, but not unit I see my doctor this afternoon and my therapist again on Monday.

I should edit my post with a suggestion as such. I’m glad you brought that up.

Cheers mate.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’m very sorry your spinal traction was so painful for you. I do agree with what you are saying regarding purchasing such machines on the Internet. The machine in question is available for sale at a local store here. They sell excellent furniture for the back. I hope they have it in stock so I can try it.

Short spinal traction sessions of about 10 minutes is what my therapist suggested for me in the pool since there are numerous other exercises they have me do in the water as well.

In regards to the machine, I am thinking of ordering it, but not unit I see my doctor this afternoon and my therapist again on Monday.

I should edit my post with a suggestion as such. I’m glad you brought that up.

Cheers mate.
Your physio has recommended against it, probably because the pool environment and exercises are total different. Why not just stick to the dry land exercises recommended? You can't rush this stuff. I can do stuff in the pool like jogging and jumping that I wouldn't even countenance doing on dry land!

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

Your physio has recommended against it, probably because the pool environment and exercises are total different. Why not just stick to the dry land exercises recommended? You can't rush this stuff. I can do stuff in the pool like jogging and jumping that I wouldn't even countenance doing on dry land!

Actually he was against using the inversion table that turns you upside down. He mentioned it has caused problems for people, especially those who suffer from hypertension like myself. When you invert yourself on the inversion table, your blood builds up in the brain. He mentioned that is affective in spinal traction, but because it can be a health issue with some, he doesn’t recommend inversion.

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

...in water...?

Yes, and also in the gym they have set up. So my exercises are, I guess you could say both wet and dry. :smile:

Slick

Guru
I know it will be dependant on a lot of factors, but I do remember lying on the floor wishing I could figure out a way to stretch my spine or at least take the strain off. It might feel like it's pulling your legs off from the groin before getting any meaningful stretch on the spine though.

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

I know it will be dependant on a lot of factors, but I do remember lying on the floor wishing I could figure out a way to stretch my spine or at least take the strain off. It might feel like it's pulling your legs off from the groin before getting any meaningful stretch on the spine though.

It pulls on the armpits. So the stretch is from your ankles all the way up your spine. It’s also good for your knees.

good luck with it IF the professionals recommend it, I cant imagine them doing so though as its easy to do more damage when unsupervised, I know your doing exercises unsupervised but they have been tailored for you, like @vickster I have also had traction and have no desire to repeat it especially voluntary at home:evil:

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

good luck with it IF the professionals recommend it, I cant imagine them doing so though as its easy to do more damage when unsupervised, I know your doing exercises unsupervised but they have been tailored for you, like @vickster I have also had traction and have no desire to repeat it especially voluntary at home:evil:

For sure I will check with my doc and PT first. I guess traction doesn’t work for everyone depending on the person’s back issue, like yourself and vickster.

Top Bottom