1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back to drops

Discussion in 'Fixed Gear and Single Speed' started by BentMikey, 30 Oct 2007.

1. BentMikey

BentMikey Rider of Seolferwulf

Well, I got tired of the bullhorns on my wrongster, and put the original drops back on. Chuffed! I prefer the drops, more comfortable, and more hand positions too.

2. Jacomus-rides-Gen

Jacomus-rides-Gen New Member

Nice result.

In the early days of my fixie I had bullhorns, but swiftly took them off as I prefer the feel and the look of drops.

3. gkerr4

gkerr4 New Member

Hmm - I wish I'd read this last week.

I got a set pretty cheap from ribble and a set of tektro aero brake levers to finish them off. They look and feel ok..

they do stretch me out more than I was expecting though - i'm not sure I like them...

the drops could be going back on and in which case there will probably be two sets of bullhorn bars and brakes on ebay soon!

4. peejay78

peejay78 Well-Known Member

yuk to bullhorns.

gross.

5. rustychisel

rustychisel Well-Known Member

agreed. Drops for me (mostly)

6. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Cowhorns. They're the future.

7. Christopher

Christopher Über Member

Always drops for me. Never seen the point of bullhorns, other than for posing.

8. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

Saw a bike chained up today that had bullhorns, but fitted so the horns faced the rider. A pair of standard drop bar levers were fitted in the manner one might fit brake levers on straight bars. It looked quite odd - definitely fixed or single speed too (I resisted attempting to spin the pedals to find out which).

9. peejay78

peejay78 Well-Known Member

you can tell by the size of the rear sprocket and usually if it has a rear brake.

10. GrahamG

GrahamG Über Member

I was contemplating bullhorns as they might be better for honking up Bristol's hills! However I just can't be bothered to spend the money, especially when I've got some straight bars and lovely ergo bar ends. Plus they're more posy than practical should I take it out for anything longer than a few miles.

11. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

When are you off Graham? I've been working in the office above Subway (mmmmm...steak and cheese) for 6 weeks now, and not spotted you around yet.

12. bianco

bianco New Member

Same here, I chopped and flipped my orginal bars, and I do find it comfy, I find myself yearning for a more aerodynamic posture. I bought myself some nitto b135s and I much prefer those.

Don't get me wrong, I much prefer chop'n'flip for hill climbing, but, at least I've got the option now.

13. GrahamG

GrahamG Über Member

Well I don't get out and about much, plus the cycle parking is via a bull ring service yard entrance, hence you wouldn't have seen me along smallbrook queensway!

My girlfriend is already down there (moved both of our stuff there last weekend) and I'll be down permanently from 1st December. I will be back in the Birmingham office probably once a week though.

14. piedwagtail91

piedwagtail91 Über Member

i put low pros on with the brake levers in the end of ther bars because i didn't like climbing on the hoods and have never got on with drops. found them a lot better for climbing as theres more to grip.
    the organiser of one of our clubs tourist events was trying to tell me i'd get disqualified for using racing bars (a wind up i'm sure) i told him drops were racing bars as well so he'd have to disqualify everyone!;)

15. NickM

NickM Über Member

All a matter of taste... though I find there's not much point having drop bars unless they are high enough that you actually use the drops now and then.

The great thing about chopping and changing bars is that it's nearly as good as getting a new bike! And a great deal cheaper ;)