back to the gym for the first time since marriage...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kedab

Veteran
since getting hitched at the end of june i'd simplynot made time/been too lazy/busy to get my butt down the gym but in order to avoid crossed words with the wife about blinds for the new house we've bought (married life eh? exciting :whistle:), i decided (well, she did) that i'd go to the gym...i did a couple of miles on the treadmill, a couple on the rower, made my arms sore on the grinder thingy and then, got on the exercise bike...now, i've been doing a couple of hours a week on the turbo at home when the weather's been rubbish, for the past month or so and while it's definitely a good workout, i'd never really thought too much about just how effective a trainer the turbo is/isn't...so, i get on the exercise bike, push it up to the last third of the 20 levels and begin. i thought it was broken. i was spinning away for ages thinking, 'something's not right here' and so i pushed the level up to 20 and only then did i feel any significant resistance...so i stopped, stuck the machine on a hill climb (and i frikin hate hills) and set off again...it did get hard for me as the levels stacked and fell but only after a good half hour on the bike...this was a revelation to me!
the turbo has definitely played it's part and my endurance is so much better than it was 6 months ago. for the first time i actually feel like a half decent cyclist. it's a lovely feeling :rolleyes:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Good for you :smile:

Actually I'd rather go to the gym than have to discuss blinds/curtains, or any home soft furnishings for that matter, with anyone. I am a woman and loathe the gym with a passion but if it came to it the gym would win.

Sounds like you had fun on the bike thingy though.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hate the exercise bikes at the gym, the position is so out. Who ever thought bars should be a foot above the saddle?

I avoid them these days. Cross trainers, rowers, yes, bikes no.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Hate the exercise bikes at the gym, the position is so out. Who ever thought bars should be a foot above the saddle?

Completely agree - fortunately the gym I use has a couple of spinning bikes next to the row of fat saddled ones, and you can replicate a road bike set-up pretty well.

Drago

Legendary Member
We got a couple of really smart drop barred Schwinn exercise bikes in our gym, serious kit. But as I'm not in to heartrate monitoring etc I just finish on the weights and cycle home instead.

OP
OP
kedab

kedab

Veteran

i don't like them either - they hurt my butt after about 15 minutes no matter how i try to set them up...i'll stop using them one day, probably when i've actually got some muscles in my arms! :shy:

Garz

Squat Member
since getting hitched at the end of june...(married life eh? exciting :whistle:),

Wait till a youngster comes along!

Mine is 5 months now and it's hard to just go out for a long ride, the wife usually limits me to shorter 1-2hr rides at best - missing the mileage and freedom.

Top Bottom