Back wheel to avoid broken spokes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Once one spoke goes, more usually follow (cheap spokes as above, normally rear, drive side) - what I've done in the past is have the wheels rebuilt with good quality stainless spokes. Wheels I've had this done too have lasted for aaages - usually being retired due to rim wearing out but not spokes snapping....

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Once one spoke goes, more usually follow (cheap spokes as above, normally rear, drive side) - what I've done in the past is have the wheels rebuilt with good quality stainless spokes. Wheels I've had this done too have lasted for aaages - usually being retired due to rim wearing out but not spokes snapping....
Ah but we've got John at Bob Warner Cycles here in Leicester. :becool:

maxresdefault.jpg

PK99

Legendary Member
My commuter (currently Whyte Shoreditch) has a 32-spoke back wheel, I check tension weekly and get it trued properly at every service, but I still snap a spoke every few weeks. I've replaced the wheel and indeed (for other reasons!) the bike, but the same thing always starts up again after a few months.

So can anyone suggest an absolutely bombproof disc-brake-compatible 700C back wheel, suitable for carrying 90kg of me plus laptop, lunch, clothes and D-lock through 8 miles of South Manchester's most bone-shaking potholes? Or if I should get one built, what exactly should I specify? I'm not too fussed about weight or price, just so long as it stays in one piece!

when I first started cycling about 15 years ago I broke spokes with monotonous regularity on every bike. Eventually I realised I was "riding heavy" and not using my knees to flex as shock absorbers esp when freewheeling downhill, thus all road shock was going through the wheel. A modified riding style solved the problem completely

alicat

Legendary Member
When you do find a decent wheel builder, just tell them what you told us in the original post and add that you may 'ride heavy'. They will sort out the specification that you need. Then leave the tension alone. Check and adjust it once a year if you must.

when I first started cycling about 15 years ago I broke spokes with monotonous regularity on every bike. Eventually I realised I was "riding heavy" and not using my knees to flex as shock absorbers esp when freewheeling downhill, thus all road shock was going through the wheel. A modified riding style solved the problem completely

When you do find a decent wheel builder, just tell them what you told us in the original post and add that you may 'ride heavy'. They will sort out the specification that you need. Then leave the tension alone. Check and adjust it once a year if you must.

Nonsense.

CUBE CRD

Some folks never lift their ass off the saddle when they cycle.....you need to weight shift to compensate for terrain at times too.....

Sharky

Guru
Askiums are supposed to be bomb proof, but I have had the occasional spoke break:-

_8204501.JPG

vickster

Legendary Member
Askiums are supposed to be bomb proof, but I have had the occasional spoke break:-

View attachment 374466
Looks quite low on spokes for a 90kg rider plus luggage as the OP

OK, I'll bite. (Actually I'm interested)
So, what are those things that look like broken spokes to me? Are they in fact not broken, but it is the hub that has failed or something?
They are straight-pull spokes. In other words, they don't have the J-bend at the end, only the mushroom head. On the hub these heads just hook into slots. When the spokes went slack at impact, they unhooked.

The rim looks a bit scuffed though but should clean up nicely, to paraphrase some adverts I've seen on here for piles of rust.

Thanks

I thought that might be the answer, but I've never owned wheels with anything other than ordinary spokes so I wasn't sure.

Quite expensive for spokes which require one less machining operation than J-bends. Here's a rule of thumb: no bike accident of any type will cause broken spokes unless an object was inserted into the wheel at speed.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Thanks for all the thoughts and helpful suggestions. I think I'll get somebody to build me a 36-spoke wheel with no expense spared on the best possible quality double-butted spokes! (Any recommendations for good wheel-builders in my neck of the woods (Greater Manchester, north-east Cheshire or High Peak) would be appreciated: I'll try one of the recommendations further afield if necessary I'd prefer to find somebody good nearby if possible....)
Paul @ Rick Greens Handforth
Andy @ Maccycles Macclesfield
Wills Wheels Stockport

Sharky

Guru
And I bet it wasn't even a bomb.

But, may I point out that I cannot see a single broken spoke on that wheel?

You're right, not a bomb, but a Corsa. Turned in front of me and I believe I did a somersault over the bonnet and landed the other side, presumably on the back wheel. The front wheel was undamaged. The rim was dented and the spokes just popped out and as you say, not one was actually broken. Don't remember much, but I had a nice little ride to the hospital in a helicopter. Don't remember the helicopter either, just a sense of blackness then waking up in hospital.

Almost 10 years ago now.

Top Bottom