Backbacks, panniers or Leave it at work?

How do you transport your change of clothes etc. to and from work?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EasyCrank

Über Member
I was wondering what you guys do about taking your stuff (eg, change of clothes) to and from work. At the moment I have a compact-ish backpack I cycle with but I'd much rather not have the combersome thing on my back.

At the same time I don't really want to lumber my bike with panniers. I could leave it at work a few days at a time but it still means occasionally travelling with it.

So how do you do it?

lejogger

Guru
99% of the time a single pannier with my suit, shoes and wash gear etc.
1% I'll fancy a carbon commute so I stick same in a rucksack.

Weight on the commute is your ally. It makes you much faster at the weekend!

BSRU

A Human Being
In the summer when I commute on the road bike I use a Carradice saddle bag but my main commuter has panniers. I started off with a rucksack but did not like it.

AndyRM

XOXO
I'm quite lucky in that my office has good changing facilities so on a Monday: backpack with 5 x shirts, 5 x socks, 5 x boxers, 1 x trousers. Leave them all in my locker in the changing room and take home at the end of the week for a wash.

In theory I'd only be carrying a bag one day a week, but because of 5-a-side commitments it rarely works out that way.

Drago

Legendary Member
Normally panniers, but if the weather is good and I'm planning on using roadie bike I drop enough kit at work when I go shopping - I have to drive past work to get to Tesco so I'm not burning any more fuel, so my conscience remains clear.

Cubist

Still wavin'
As I have to use the car on occasions I take the opportunity to take a fresh supply of shirts to work. I use a pump bag like a rucksack to take my phone, keys, wallet, works Blackberry and clean undercrackers on the roadbike.

Bodhbh

Guru
Panniers, although I have used a pack and may again sometime. They tend to be better when running errands on the way back, hoping off the bike and popping in and out of shops etc.

ohnovino

Large Member
Some essentials kept at work (spare shoes, towel, waterproof top, and puncture fixing stuff). On wet commutes when I need a full change of clothing I take a backpack, but I'm in looking to switch to panniers pretty soon.

defy-one

I need a laptop and tools for my customer visits, so panniers are essential for me. It doesn't get me down, as I see it as training for the faster lighter best bike. I sometimes take my heavy MTB out for the same reason - heavy bike equals harder session equals more calories burned :-)

Carradice Barley normally, Lowsaddle Longflap when I have more to take. And now I have just fitted the rack I have the Panniers (Carradice Kendal Originals of course:thumbsup:) I can carry loads, literally!

At work - suit, few ties, shoes, spare pants/socks (essential if heavy rain!), stuff for washing
Pannier - fresh shirt, repair kit, stuff for work that day.

That way I keep the stuff that can stay at work and just bring home the shirt to be changed daily.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
As required I'll take in a load of shirts, trousers and t-shirts which are left in my locker ready for use. Then the pile of used items are taken home for washing and replaced with fresh clean items as necessary

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Probably carry a bit too much in Panniers. Shoes, Trousers and locks are left in the office. Daily it's shirt, undies and socks. If on site then it's the lot, and the locks weigh a tonne - so panniers are the only comfortable option.

Usual load is just as above, waterproofs, overshoes, lunch.

Moved to panniers after my accident resulted in the rucksack putting too much pressure on my shoulder. If I take the road bike, it will only be on a good day where I need bare minimum in the rucksack, same if using the MTB in Ice.

Top Bottom