Backpack vs Pannier

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
All depends on the weight you carry asyesterday i had around 30llbs of stuff in my panniers, i would not have liked to cycle a long distance with that on my bike.
I like the opportunity to be able to carry more stuff if i need to and hate sweaty back syndrome.

next you will fall in love with mudguards ...you cannot resist the power of the practical side :smile:

MancRider78

Mudguards, MMM, those and a pannier rack swayed the decision of the bike I bought!!!

young Ed

Veteran
i cycle to the bus to get to school and back every day 2 miles there and 2 miles back with a rucksack on my back and have never found it uncomfortable i have in the past had a 20 litres i believe when laden weighing about 5-6kg im guessing but at the moment im on a 10 litre that probably weighs in at 2-3.5 kg when laden
never tried paniers but i am considering investing in a pair from the bay as they post pennies!
Cheers Ed

Kookas

Über Member
Panniers are lower in the SCR food chain; I wear my rucksack on my 16-mile commute, no intention of changing any time soon either.

pally83

Über Member
I commute 23 miles each way and have never had any problems using a backpack. Don't like the look of panniers on road bikes.

vickster

Legendary Member
I see you are in Glasgow. I wouldn't want a backpack on for an hour plus in the current temps in London! However good an airflow system it has

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I much prefer panniers on my commute bike.
But with a disc brake bike, you need one of those panniers that stick out about a foot either sidfe.
Not a good look.
So I stick to the ruck sack.

young Ed

Veteran
why do you need panniers that stick out so far you need a wide load sticker wth discs? because of the idsc itself and the calipers?
Cheers Ed

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
why do you need panniers that stick out so far you need a wide load sticker wth discs? because of the idsc itself and the calipers?
Cheers Ed

Because the calipers stick out from the seat stays so you need extenders on the holding bolts

Sara_H

Guru
I much prefer panniers on my commute bike.
But with a disc brake bike, you need one of those panniers that stick out about a foot either sidfe.
Not a good look.
So I stick to the ruck sack.

I have a disc brake rack (toepeak super tourist, if you're interested). Yes it's quite wide, but I like that. Don't know why - I like things to look substantial.

OH has a rack on his disc brake bke that fits through the wheel on a skewer (hope this makes sense I'm a bit unsure of my terminology) and it's no wider than a standard rack.

Top Bottom