Backpack vs Pannier

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
Yup, I would need one of those.
But wouldn't put one on my bike.
They just don't look good.

Function over form! OH doesn't care what it looks like - he was carrying some seriously heavy stuff to work every day, he was just pleased to find a solution to his woes!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Function over form! OH doesn't care what it looks like - he was carrying some seriously heavy stuff to work every day, he was just pleased to find a solution to his woes!

For sure, fully understand that.
Luckily all I have to carry is a change of clothing.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Topeak Super Tourist here, but non disc type. I had always used a rucksack, but a shoulder injury put an end to it. I quite often carry heavy loads with locks on site visits, so panniers were the answer.

They also give me extra bonus point multipliers in SCR, and on fixed too, really upsets some folk. Hee Hee.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
I have never tried panniers, as I have always got along fine with my rucksack.

No problems with the recent commutes where I have done 200+miles in the week.
No problem when I have been out for up to 70-80 miles on a Saturday or Sunday ride.

lulubel

Über Member
When I first got a road bike for my commute, I used a rucksack to carry my food and change of clothes. I didn't notice it was particularly uncomfortable, but I did notice how free and unrestricted I felt at the weekend when I cycled without it. It didn't take me long to get a rack put on the bike so I could switch to using panniers.

There's absolutely no way I'd use a rucksack here in the summer. Even if it didn't increase sweating, the reduction in air flow and associated cooling would make the risk of heat stroke higher.

Kookas

Über Member
When I first got a road bike for my commute, I used a rucksack to carry my food and change of clothes. I didn't notice it was particularly uncomfortable, but I did notice how free and unrestricted I felt at the weekend when I cycled without it. It didn't take me long to get a rack put on the bike so I could switch to using panniers.

There's absolutely no way I'd use a rucksack here in the summer. Even if it didn't increase sweating, the reduction in air flow and associated cooling would make the risk of heat stroke higher.

The rucksack makes your back hot, but I don't think it has any effect on head temperature. I don't think you can get heatstroke from just a hot back. That's one good reason not to wear a helmet, though.

Kookas

Über Member
Heat stroke isn't about the temperature of your head. It's caused by your core temperature rising to dangerous levels.

NHS - Heat Exhaustion and Heat Stroke

Oh, didn't know that. I thought it was a brain overheat thing.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I have a set of Altura Urban 20 'Dryline' Panniers that i use for my longer rides or if i need to transport some stuff to and from work that wouldnt normally fit in my Topeak MTX Trunkbag DX which i use for my commute. Its just about big enough to hold all the basics and some odds and ends like wash kit. first aid kit, bottle of water etc etc.

Ive seen some timbuk2 messenger bags on sale and i was so tempted as messenger bags look so cool, but honest to god i hate having a sweaty back. My back is reserved for carrying my Osprey Raptor 6 hydration pack during long rides. 6L is quite small but i dont really put much else inside apart from some small food items like fruit bars or energy gels. Most of my tools and other stuff goes in the trunkbag or pannier.

Top Bottom