Bad news if you've had a bike fit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Does the mean that 'to the millimeter' bike fits are meaningless, at least as far as reach is concerned?

I didn't actually know there was any such thing as a 'to the millimetre' bike fit. You have several hand positions on a standard road setup anyway, so your reach and drop will vary - so a perfect reach in one position would not be perfect in others...

Drago

Legendary Member
Fortunately, I don't think my legs or arms shrink much during the day.

Drago

Legendary Member
A true story....

About 10 years back my 2nd daughter who was 10 at the time said to me, "Dad, how do we grow?"

Now, my parenting skills and patience were lamentably poor that day, and I was tired, so to get rid of her I said, "oh, Er, well, you go to bed the night before your birthday and overnight you grow your allotted amount for the next year, so you awaken on your birthday taller."

Unfortunately, I didn't realise she was asking me for her homework and my laziness earned me a letter home from her teacher bollarking me for it.

oldroadman

Veteran
Rarely read such rubbish. Fit is fit, and 5mm makes zero difference. In any case in a stretched position on the bike, the only possible difference would be reach and that's compensated by minor moves in hand position - which neither you or anyone else will be aware of. Bike fit "to the mm" is mainly aimed at position of seat and feet, and in any case even after a fit there are still minor tweaks because (amazingly) we are all slightly different.
In a nutshell, ignore the 5mm bit.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
If your legs shrank during the day I would say 5 mm would make a difference, I fine tune my saddle height 1 or 2 mm at a time but the shrinkage in your spine will have very little noticeable impact on the bike position.

Top Bottom