Baffling City of London Police garbage.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

Disgusting and indefensible.

Maz

Guru
spindrift said:
Thanks for the link.
It's a very sad story. Unfortunately, she was positioned to the left of a left turning lorry and tragically paid the ultimate price for positioning herself where she shouldn't be. I can't help but feel that she is, in part at least, responsible for her own untimely demise. That may sound harsh, but that's the way I see it.

Cab

Maz said:
Thanks for the link.
It's a very sad story. Unfortunately, she was positioned to the left of a left turning lorry and tragically paid the ultimate price for positioning herself where she shouldn't be. I can't help but feel that she is, in part at least, responsible for her own untimely demise. That may sound harsh, but that's the way I see it.

We've discussed this at length here. The thing is, we dont know what happened; she might have ridden in to his blind spot, he might have pulled alongside her... We haven't got enough information to say. On the face of it this kind of tragedy looks like the fault of the driver, and no one here would absolve him of responsibility on this. But other than that its hard for anyone here to say anything more firm than that.

OP
OP
S

spindrift

Emma was there for 37 seconds. She was visible had the driver bothered to look. Your comments are beneath contempt.

Cab

spindrift said:
Emma was there for 37 seconds. She was visible had the driver bothered to look. Your comments are beneath contempt.

Dude, we've discussed this in the past. We can rake over it again if you really want to, or not. I think it would be unproduvtive, so I vote 'not'. But less of the 'beneath contempt' stuff please, you know that pretty much everyone here has got the greatest of sympathy for the cyclist, you know that what is questioned is how visible she was, and you know that the position of several people was simply that we weren't in the court, we haven't seen all of the evidence, we're not in a position to form a strong opinion.

Cab said:
Dude, we've discussed this in the past. We can rake over it again if you really want to, or not. I think it would be unproduvtive, so I vote 'not'. But less of the 'beneath contempt' stuff please, you know that pretty much everyone here has got the greatest of sympathy for the cyclist, you know that what is questioned is how visible she was, and you know that the position of several people was simply that we weren't in the court, we haven't seen all of the evidence, we're not in a position to form a strong opinion.

I'm with cab on this one.

What cases like this do highlight is how important it is to keep away from the left hand side of large vehicles if at all possible. You can never be sure that the driver has seen you, either by error, due to a blind spot, or due to criminal negligence as appears to have been the case in this incident.

This can be avoided by either stopping behind said vehicles or stopping in the primary position at junctions (which would prevent the vehicle pulling up along side you.)

Emma's death was a tragedy. Lets pay our respects by learning lessons from what happened and spreading the message of road safety.

Maz

Guru
spindrift said:
Presumably you're referring to my earlier comment. I don't understand where your animosity comes from. Like I said before, don't position yourself to the left of a large vehicle. It's a 'kin dangerous place to be.

OP
OP
S

spindrift

Like I said before, don't position yourself to the left of a large vehicle. It's a 'kin dangerous place to be.

And your evidence Emma did this is....?

OP
OP
S

spindrift

The point is that we're not in a position to say.

Yep, that's why holding her responsible for her own death is contemptible.

Maz

Guru
spindrift said:
Like I said before, don't position yourself to the left of a large vehicle. It's a 'kin dangerous place to be.

And your evidence Emma did this is....?
...contained in the link to the article you provided ("she was caught under the left-hand side of the truck as it turned left at the junction"). You even concur with that by saying she was there for 37 seconds!

I'm saying no more on the matter, as it's been thrashed out already.

OP
OP
S

spindrift

A lot has been said about the wisdom of her being on the left of the lorry. I haven’t seen any reports that say whether or not she pulled up first, and the lorry after, or the other way round, which is a pretty crucial bit of information when assessing to what extent Emma Foa contributed to the collision. If she was there first, then blame cannot be attached to her. If not, then she can be said to have contributed in some way, especially if the lorry was signalling left (again, I haven’t seen anything that tells me one way or another).

Blaming her, therefore, is contemptible.

bonj2

Cab said:
We've discussed this at length here. The thing is, we dont know what happened; she might have ridden in to his blind spot, he might have pulled alongside her... We haven't got enough information to say. On the face of it this kind of tragedy looks like the fault of the driver, and no one here would absolve him of responsibility on this. But other than that its hard for anyone here to say anything more firm than that.

but it must have been the moton's fault 'cos bimbly hates motons and he says it was. :ohmy:

Cab

spindrift said:
Blaming her, therefore, is contemptible.

Yeah, but saying that it looks like she was at fault and might be partly to blame (what I'm sure Maz was getting at) is qutie different to blaming her for the accident.

Top Bottom