Balancing the bike while stopped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
User3143 said:
Yes, it's called a trackstand. Very easy on a fixed, slighly harder on a freewheel.

Practise makes perfect, have a look at some of the vids on youtube.
I always heard this and I was looking forward to it when I went fixed, but I actually find the exact opposite, because I find it easy to balance with the pedals at 3 o clock and 9 o clock, but very difficult at 12 & 6.

With a freewheel, it's very easy to make slight adjustments to get back to 3/9, as you roll slightly. With a fixed, you can't. And I for one just cannot go backwards! :ohmy:

Oh yeah, and the point is, it saves having to clip in again. (Apart from looking cool of course.)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Find a very quiet place where no one can see you and practice until you are perfect, then try it on the road. There is nothing worse that watching some wobbling half way across a junction while trying to make out that they can trackstand. DO NOT attempt to do it on the road until you have mastered it off road. If you really must try it there is a guide here... :rolleyes:

GrasB

Veteran
Arch said:
I don't see why you would think someone would necessarily get away faster from a trackstand than someone going 'hup' and onto the pedals. The only thing that matters is what gear they are all in.
Not really... grab a handful of front brake as I apply loads of pressure to the front pedal (straightens up the bike & loads up the 'bars), release the brake & stroke 1, 2, 3, 4, top chainring, 6, 7...... I've probably just left every car for dead as well as almost everyone on a bike. Absolutely no way to apply that kind of power when using flat pedals, with toe clips & flat shoes or unclipped as I'm using an awful lot of the upstroke as well.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
GrasB said:
Not really... grab a handful of front brake as I apply loads of pressure to the front pedal (straightens up the bike & loads up the 'bars), release the brake & stroke 1, 2, 3, 4, top chainring, 6, 7...... I've probably just left every car for dead as well as almost everyone on a bike. Absolutely no way to apply that kind of power when using flat pedals, with toe clips & flat shoes or unclipped as I'm using an awful lot of the upstroke as well.

exactly.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIuoz31z8xE
quicker off the line than a moped :rolleyes:

The hardest part is having the bars turned the the left, whilst looking at the right for the lights to change.

al78

Guru
Arch said:
Only if you're daft enough to have clipless pedals to faff about with.

I rather like the feeling of knowing my feet are not going to slip off the pedals in the rain at an inconvenient moment.

chap

Veteran
Hmm, it is a case of practise; I know I can trackstand on the Brommie but see no point. I just start on 2nd gear on the hub, then work my way up. I am usually a fair few meters away before the cars can catch up - if they can :rolleyes:

Catrike UK said:
No problem for trike riders.

:rolleyes:

Will1985

Über Member
Did I also mention trackstanding a tallbike? (scroll to near the bottom).

Being clipped in using Look cleats is definitely quicker than having to clip in and get up to speed, although sometimes it requires a kilo style start if in a massive gear.

OP
OP
M

MacLean

Thanks all for you'r input, to those of you who posted that guide thanks again!

I tried last night whilst on a ride up a hill and was able to hold for about 6-7 seconds... guess I just gota build it up!

And yes I wanna learn this for the same reason i learned how to wheelie, it requires skill, is tricky to learn and not everyone can do it! Not a crime at all if you ask me.....

And ofcourse im not practising on busy streets to who ever it was that thought I was!

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
GregCollins said:
'what's the point of trackstands?' is a question only every asked by those who can't do them. It has to be, imo, the single most important skill to master for off road mtb'ing. Try it off road, on a downhill slope, with a freewheel, whilst you try to figure a line to take on the upcoming drop off. Great fun.

I can trackstand but I am in the "what's the point brigade" I would rather just put my foot down, if I had clipless pedals my view may or may not change.

I cannot track stand and have no real need for the skill day to day - however, I can ride so slowly I am effectively stopped and balance for a further 10 to 15 seconds when stopped - enough time to let the traffic sort itself out or the lights to go green - if it is oviously snarled or I know there is no chance of a green light then the foot goes down - being able to be effectively stopped for 30 to 40 seconds does help me to avoid those clipless moments

scouserinlondon

HaloJ said:
Being able to track stand is very handy for control. Those on fixies have the added advantage of being able to physically pedal back and forth which is the technique used when on a uni cycle. Freewheel it is indeed harder to do it everywhere although it's probably about the same difficulty on a slope upwards

I made a tit of myself doing it on a freewheel on a down hill slope. I grabbed too much brake and fell over, luckily only in front of the OH and the cabby at the lights.

This is a nice guide on how to do it though....
http://www.teamestrogen.com/content/asa_trackstand

Edit: I actually went to Finsbury Park and practiced for a day. An interesting experience and a great entertainment to the young kids. "Look mummy that girl is stood on her bike!"

Being able to trackstand (which I can't) just looks plain cool. I do get a secret bit of pleasure from overtaking trackies 10m down the road.

Top Bottom