Balancing the bike while stopped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Halfmanhalfbike

Über Member
Only time I've actually seen anyone trackstand was when I was waiting at some lights. Full-on roadie pulled up beside me with all the kit. "Evening", says I, as it was a lovely spring evening.

Nothing. Not a look, a nod or any sign of acknowledgement at all.

Tosser.

skrx

I'm sure it's more effort than just putting a foot down.

But I'm still learning to ride with no hands :-(

Moodyman

Legendary Member
But I'm still learning to ride with no hands

That's one step ahead of me. I still can't stand up and ride and I ride 120 miles a week.

To be honest, I only miss teh standing up on the big hills to circulate blood around the lower cheeks.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Very little point on the road, but I still do it (even though I was left sprawled on the road once when a car rolled into me when I was not paying attention). Sadly there's no video of the incident...

u9ge

Every one here has failed to point out, you need have the bars at 45 degrees to use the road camber to get resistance and backward motion. obviously not as necessary when fixed as you just pedal backwards.

And yes, in proper SPD's you always beat people off the line as a) no clipping in faff and :smile: you can engage both legs to wrench it up to speed, normally through/past the numpties on hybrids who need sit in front of you though you've over taken them every time they've done it.

Always good though to see some media/charity type fakinger fluff it up and fall on their face.

OP
OP
M

MacLean

Ment to say aswell, I presume its pretty impossible on a non fixed bike if your at a set of lights at the bottom of a hill... So if your stoped on a downward slope it cant be done can it?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
MacLean said:
Ment to say aswell, I presume its pretty impossible on a non fixed bike if your at a set of lights at the bottom of a hill... So if your stoped on a downward slope it cant be done can it?

Yes, MTB riders trackstand on downhill sections when required, i.e. scouting the route.

Bman

Guru
I can trackstand for a few seconds (20-30?) If I need to.

I use it when waiting for security to open the barrier at work ;) It helps that there is a slight uphill slope coming up to the barrier.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I dont bother track standing most of the time, simply an acceleration thing, riding a relativelly high geared fixed it takes some cranking to get shifting at times, and my strongest leg for pushing off happens to be the opposite to my leading leg when trackstanding, i.e. I have to acclerate on the weaker side. So I prefer to just put my foot down and put pedals into the optimum possition for me to get shifting again. Can trackstand pretty much indefinatelly on fixed. Its great to learn helps with control at slow speeds, but if im coming to a stop, ill be putting my foot down and resetting my pedals.

Norm

Catrike UK said:
I can manage a couple of hours, more if I go to sleep.
Yeah, but you cheat. :laugh: As bad as my daughter who was allowed to enter a "slowest bike race" when she still had stabilisers. Being a speed freak (That's ma girl :sad: ) she came last. :biggrin:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
psmiffy said:
I cannot track stand and have no real need for the skill day to day - however, I can ride so slowly I am effectively stopped and balance for a further 10 to 15 seconds when stopped - enough time to let the traffic sort itself out or the lights to go green - if it is oviously snarled or I know there is no chance of a green light then the foot goes down -

That's me... I can sometimes manage a bit more but if I wobble more than 10 cm then the foot goes down - there is no point doing it if you are constantly creeping forward or going to knock into someone etc, there is always the next traffic light to practise at.

There was one day when I commuted 4 miles through 17+ sets of lights, 2 roundabouts, several zebra crossings without putting my foot down once ... I've never repeated that.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
summerdays said:
That's me... I can sometimes manage a bit more but if I wobble more than 10 cm then the foot goes down - there is no point doing it if you are constantly creeping forward or going to knock into someone etc, there is always the next traffic light to practise at.

There was one day when I commuted 4 miles through 17+ sets of lights, 2 roundabouts, several zebra crossings without putting my foot down once ... I've never repeated that.

I've done 7 miles in london during rush hour without putting my foot down :ohmy:

GrasB

Veteran
u9ge said:
Every one here has failed to point out, you need have the bars at 45 degrees to use the road camber to get resistance and backward motion. obviously not as necessary when fixed as you just pedal backwards.
Yes you need the 'bars at around 45 degrees but you don't need any camber, it's not as easy but you use the front brake & fork spring so the front wheel stays still but wheel/forks flex gives you enough spring movement backwards.

Rob3rt said:
I dont bother track standing most of the time, simply an acceleration thing, riding a relativelly high geared fixed it takes some cranking to get shifting at times, and my strongest leg for pushing off happens to be the opposite to my leading leg when trackstanding, i.e. I have to acclerate on the weaker side.
Oddly enough I find that it's the second down stroke of the pedal that's important for acceleration so I'd say you're in a better position.

Top Bottom