Bananas on a ride. Does anyone take them?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Why don't roadies wear backpacks?
Are they worried it will affect their Strava sectionals?
Thats what the back pockets on the Jersey are for :bicycle::bicycle:

Olikana

Why take a banana with you? I always have a bottle of water.
If we are talking about a snack, you can take an apple.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Why don't roadies wear backpacks?
Are they worried it will affect their Strava sectionals?

Backpacks are cool on a mountain bike, but wrong on a road bike, there is actually more to it than just fashion, on a road bike your back is usually bent forward more, on a mountain bike, your back is quite upright, the weight of the pack on your back for several hours on a road bike is not very comfortable, and not really that good for your back.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Backpacks are cool on a mountain bike, but wrong on a road bike, there is actually more to it than just fashion, on a road bike your back is usually bent forward more, on a mountain bike, your back is quite upright, the weight of the pack on your back for several hours on a road bike is not very comfortable, and not really that good for your back.

It's long troubled me that bent over position adopted by roadies.

I'd have thought it would seriously compromised lung function by reducing chest capacity. And be bad for your back.
Not to mention compromising the delicate neck structure..

Has anyone studied this??

If not why not??

Ps is that a banana in your pocket?

Or are you just pleased to see me..

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Back pocket works fine. Don't go putting it in a saddle bag/camelbak and forgetting it.

I did leave a banana in my desk drawer for about 8 months. Wasn't planning too, but when a driver broke my spine I was a little distracted and forgot. That and the fact I wasn't back in work for that long. Anyway, there was a perfectly 'dried' flat black banana in my drawer. No nasty growth, just black and hard.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Nah it's fashion. I'd never wear one on a road bike, but just makes sense on a MTB, plus it pads your back out in a crash - landing on a pump and puncture kit in a pocket isn't pleasant, I'd imagine. :tongue:

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
Thats what the back pockets on the Jersey are for :bicycle::bicycle:
Tools, wallet, food, extra drink, hand towel for mopping brow.
So much easier to stick it all in a small backpack surely?
Also, if it slashes it down, the backpack will offer more protection than your Superman outfit you crazy roadies seem to love.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Nah it's fashion. I'd never wear one on a road bike, but just makes sense on a MTB, plus it pads your back out in a crash - landing on a pump and puncture kit in a pocket isn't pleasant, I'd imagine. :tongue:

It is fashion, but I'm sure there is some logic there somewhere, if not it doesn't matter, people who use a backpack on a road bike are wrong even if it's just a fashion crime.

Top Bottom