Bands for the bored.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
um... my band name is
List of Pushing Daises Episodes
WTF
album is
Debbie Googe
26.jpg

least the album matches
strange names for a thrash metal band huh?

Abitrary

Are we supposed to report sad spam like this?

domtyler

Über Member
Tracer-Gas
Porthgain Railway

Tracer-Gas.jpg

Tracer Gas' long awaited fifth album breaks somewhat from their earlier material. Gone is the harsh, grungy sound and raw lyrical acoustics from the early years and in comes a newer, softer and more melodic sound that, at first anyway, is not completely appealing.

The title track can only be described as a blend of soulful ragga and organic post-punk. Front man Tyler's performance is, naturally, astounding as he takes the listener to far off places, toys with their sanity and then brings them crashing back to earth with a crescendo of an intensity unheard since Beethoven last rolled over.

My personal favourite track is the breathtaking, pant wetting "Baltic States Investigation" a mish mash of soulful acid house hip tripping and reggae infused dub blasting folk. Reminiscent of early Massive Attack with Rolf Harris vocals it is far too easy to just stick this one on repeat and lose several hours in a mind imploding maelstrom of white noise.

While this album breaks the mold which many fans may find hard to swallow, after a few listens this has become one of my true favourites, bring it on!

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Flying_Monkey said:
Transport Sample Protocol were a hardcore Marxist electronic outfit formed in 1986 after the members were thrown out of a Kraftwerk discussion circle for being too literal in their reading of 'Autobahn'.

Their avowedly non-bourgeois aesthetic led them to name their albums after the detritus cast off from capitalist society and their masterpiece 'List of ship decommissionings in 1954' consists of 70 minutes of unrelenting 200bpm jackhammer beats with samples of industrial ring-welding and readings from Stockhausen's diaries.

The cover, commissioned from a Dusseldorf neo-figurative collective, represents the hopeless embrace of the working man with wage slavery.

TSP split in 1989 over the question of whether humour was allowed in a revolutionary sonic ensemble, with three members going on to form the extreme noisecore trio, the International Publishers Association...

HOLY F*CK! I MUST HAVE IT! That's just what I've been looking for.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Moskvitch G1 introduce their debut album List of interplanetary voyages. Drawing deeply from their avowed love of Yes and Genesis, the neo-proggresive rock sound can be said to echo Marillion in their early albums.
converse.jpg

Tetedelacourse

My band Oval (disambiguation) released their 23rd, and some say their 4th best, album "Timothy P. Green" in October of this year.

They set out to redefine the stadium rock genre but were restricted by the quality of music they were able to firstly write, secondly perform, and latterly produce. If you fancy a slice of the Oval (disambiguation) cake but are unsure what it would taste like and don't want to splash out on a piece in fear of disappointment, think of Death, think of Life and then have a good sit down and think about the array of colours which span those two ideologies. Then you'll know what to expect.

walker said:
bands name is glasgow and aberdeen universities, bands Album is Bruce Thornton

35cd03da4f7263f29fdc6d149833cc77527c9e4a_m.jpg

ahhhhh yes. that was an interesting concept production between the two campuses (campii?)

based on the life of Bruce Thornton, a biology teacher at Glasgow, but who studied in Aberdeen. he was chosen purely for that reason. the trouble was ge was, like many biology teachers of that time, incredibly dull - as borne out in track 3, the 17 and a half minute drone that is "Bruce visits the bakers to get a loaf" where the vocalist mumbles 'baguette, bloomer or wholemeal" over and over only stopped by the final seconds where a woman chimes in with "here's your white sliced, Sir".

Side 2 opens with sound of cheese being sliced, i kid you not, as the intrepid teacher makes a sandwich before the highlight of the day and, some say the entire album, where he sits on a park bench to eat it. The rustling of the crisp packet is accompanied by birdsong, providing the only real music on the whole record.

It takes bravery and imagination to end a record with a twenty seven minute lullaby as "Bruce takes to his bed", alas the group posses neither of these attributes and all you get is shuffling sounds and the odd creak of springs as a lone violin emanates the neighbourhood tom wailing at the moon, at least i think that's what it is. the final nine minutes of single note casio keyboard really push the listener and, possibly, the casio, to the limits.

the liner notes urge you to play the record again as soon as it ends so the alarm will wake you as it does Bruce every morning. i'd urge you to place this album on a hot radiator and make an ashtray out of it.

papercorn2000

Official!

Best thread since the setting up of the forum! ;)
I'm actually going home to check if I have some of these albums.

trustysteed said:
Mine is 'Welton Rovers F.C.' by the 3rd Regiment Royal Horse Artillery

78e16cefdb.jpg

another concept album hits the review desk.

consisting of 2 sides of 45 minutes each this is a 'live' recording of a match held by the regiment at the Welton ground. Side one is a slow building affair, punctuated by the shouts of the soldiers and the occasional insult aimed at the referee. towards the end the sounds of the horse drawn cannon being paraded on the touchlines gives a hint of what is to come. the half-time whistle blows to warm applause from the crowd and everyone retires for some orange slices.

Clearly given a pep talk by the manager, the regiment come out fighting for the 2nd half. the shouts are now orders and the rattle of chains is evident as the cannons are unhooked (listen for the horses at 6 minutes 34 seconds, they have been working hard). It's not long before the booming of shot zooms from left to right speaker as a volley is unleashed. The splintering of wood from a hit on the crossbar cracks forth shortly afterwards. retaliatory action is always on the cards and soon the two sides are trading shots freely, building in intensity until snippets of the 1812 overture are interspersing the action. a final thunder as the last salvo before full-time is unleashed and then quiet descends after the whistle, save for the quiet cries of a wounded soldier and a shout of "medic!".

i demand a rematch.

Top Bottom