Bangor to Conway cycle path

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
In a couple of weeks, I'm hoping to do a few miles around Anglesey, then over the old Menai bridge to Conway castle.
Question is, what's the bike path like from Bangor to Conway (and can I cycle across the old Menai bridge?)

I'm sure I won't want to ride along the A55!

Cheers :smile:

ianbarton

Veteran
It's a good track, easily cyclable on a road bike. You can cross the old bridge. Here is my RidewithGPS track for the Holyhead to Llandudno section of my ride to Chester:

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/9821546

Signage from the Menai bridge isn't very good.Also as you can see from my track I got a bit lost at one point outside Bangor.

videoman

Guru
I rode it earlier this year from Caernarfon to Conwy and back again. Path is very poorly marked in several places around Bangor especially as you leave Bangor around Dickies boatyard and there is a narrow lane to ride inland of Llanfairfechan but it is an easy route to ride and very pleasant.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I rode it earlier this year from Caernarfon to Conwy and back again. Path is very poorly marked in several places around Bangor especially as you leave Bangor around Dickies boatyard and there is a narrow lane to ride inland of Llanfairfechan but it is an easy route to ride and very pleasant.
Dickies boat yard doesn't exist anymore. It has been replaced by brand new flats on your left.
Turn left at junction and follow the road up to roundabout. Left there, down the road and go on bridge over A55, then left again. It will take you on a narrow lane to Llanfairfechan. Then follow cycle track all the way to Conwy. Nice ride.

The old Menai bridge is ace.

HWeb-dCFq7skq1hSaQTI-StBz-Vwj9IMVKbjTGyYwS5YESalp_ZPlxOFbaH8FaboEO6UPy-At3mt5--g5R1EkoX_SY3oOoIA.jpg

I found the route through Bangor to be a bit tortuous and hilly. Typical Sustrans routing

Sixmile

Veteran
In the summer past, we did this route. I was pulling the trailer with the kids in it and decided not to bother with the Holyhead to Bangor part as it didn't look that appealing. We got the train to Llanfairfechan. My wife complained about the 2 climbs from Llanfairfechan to Panmeanwar even though I was the one pulling a 55kg trailer! After Conwy we hung a left after crossing the bridge (I think there are 'cyclists dismount' signs on it) and stuck to the coastal path all the way to Llandudno. Their is a sandy stretch where it was impossible to pull the trailer through but I think on a bike with no extra weight that it should be ok.

Actually, I think I might have went further on than what you have planned.

si_c

Guru
I did most of that route on Monday, but I was approaching Bangor from Llanberis instead. Once you get past Llandygai it's a lovely route with for the most part a fantastic view on the left hand side. It is marked all the way down to Conwy, but you will have to keep an eye open for the blue cycle route signs, they're not the best placed, but they are there all the way.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Thanks for all the replies folks. :smile:
Last time I went through Conway and over the old bridge was in a truck!! (Prior to tunnels and the new bridge opening)
I'll check out the routes and suggestions tomorrow morning :okay:

videoman

Guru
Dickies boat yard doesn't exist anymore. It has been replaced by brand new flats on your left.
Turn left at junction and follow the road up to roundabout. Left there, down the road and go on bridge over A55, then left again. It will take you on a narrow lane to Llanfairfechan. Then follow cycle track all the way to Conwy. Nice ride.

Dickies boatyard is still in Bangor, Porth Penrgyn just the other side of the bay of the A5 as you leave Bangor. I rode around it for long enough looking for a cycle route sign which is hidden away in a hedge.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Dickies boatyard is still in Bangor, Porth Penrgyn just the other side of the bay of the A5 as you leave Bangor. I rode around it for long enough looking for a cycle route sign which is hidden away in a hedge.
True, what I meant was the emplacement of where it used to be.:okay:

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Sounds like I need to take some secateurs with me :laugh:

Looks like a nice route. I did 'Streetview' a direct cut across the lanes from
near the bridge to Llandygai but it looks a bit iffy.

Cheers folks.:smile:

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Best sign possible!! I shall have to take some pics 'first hand' if I get to do the ride I'm aiming for ^_^

Top Bottom