banking and not using your given name

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
In case you aren't aware of one of the most infamous cases of cheque fraud associated with payee names:

In the days before all the money laundering regs a fraudster opened a bank account in the UK in the name of "Inlandi Revende". Having set up the account, all he had to do was intercept cheques being sent to settle tax liabilities. These are easily identified by the address on the envelope. I believe he worked for the Post Office. Having intercepted them, the fraudster then opened the envelopes and took out the cheque. He then added an "i" to the word "Inland" and changed the "u" to a "d" in Revenue. Bingo, cheque made payable to Inlandi Revende.

Bank the cheques, pull out the cash. Job done. He almost got away with it.

Booyaa

Veteran
A good friend of mine travelled extensively around Europe with me and others with his passport that had the name Breen. His surname was Green and everything was always booked in Green but never once was he challenged about it or asked why the booking was in a different name to the passport. Great security...

Mr Celine

Discordian
Inlandi Revende reminds me of a giro I got for a tax rebate a few years ago. For some reason their computer had scrambled my surname so that the payee was something like Mr Celinnoshw. I took it to the local tax enquiry office where I was told to post it myself to Centre One and to expect a replacement in six to eight weeks. I just took it to my bank who paid it into my account without even looking at it.
So my advice to the OP - the bank probably won't even look at the name on the cheque.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I opened an account with First Direct in 1990. About six months in and impressed with their efficiency (They were the first telephone only bank) we decided to switch our joint account to them, just a quick phone call and a form to add Mrs SJ to the account and it was done.

Roll on a quarter of a century to just before this Christmas and we get an apologetic letter from the bank saying they had never had proof of Mrs SJ's identity and could we send them copies of any two from a number of specified documents, one with a photograph on it and witnessed by one of a member of certain specified professions in order to prove that she was who she said she was.

Finally got round to it today, my mate being the local sub postmaster and as one of the chosen ones on the list he obliged with his sprawl and a brief statement of confirmation. I suppose this money laundering crackdown is behind it.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
My wife's name is Luisa, but everyone calls her Marisa (they are the same names in Spain). Since she used to receive cheques made payable to Marisa then she used both names (Luisa Marisa) on her bank account, that way it made no difference if the cheques were made payable to Luisa or Marisa.

brand

Why do the banks now want to know if you are a dual national? With some being more specific and asking if you are a US citizen. I move a dormant account around picking up the £100 or whatever they are offering so I notice it a lot They are now always asking if you are citizen of another country?

brand

Glad I keep my mouth shut. Now definitely telling them f all. Mind that is only US citizens?? How come they ask are you citizen of another country? Or am I miss reading it. It seems to emphasise institutes "Information on submitting a return under The Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act on behalf of a financial institution" It is not very in depth. Fu*k them telling them nothing. When I ask they just say money laundering but get the impression they don't actually know.

classic33

Leg End Member
Glad I keep my mouth shut. Now definitely telling them f all. Mind that is only US citizens?? How come they ask are you citizen of another country? Or am I miss reading it. It seems to emphasise institutes "Information on submitting a return under The Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act on behalf of a financial institution" It is not very in depth. Fu*k them telling them nothing. When I ask they just say money laundering but get the impression they don't actually know.
All money movements have to be recorded if over a fixed amount.
If you were a foriegn national, with an account in the UK it would raise concerns.
Used to have an account with a bank in the Republic of Ireland. Main use was to have access to Euro's whilst on holiday, without having to go through an exchange.
Bank lost out on the transaction.

classic33

Leg End Member
How your identity can be stolen
Damage can be done when seemingly insignificant information falls into the wrong hands. But by increasing awareness and getting a better understanding of how fraudsters operate, we can spot identity fraud early and deal with it effectively. Here's how your identity could be stolen:
Bin raiding
Stealing documents from your rubbish or recycling to help build up a profile of you.
Electronically
internet viruses and phishing.
Card skimming
Retail staff copy your card details when you're making a purchase.
Unsolicited contact
Bogus phone calls from individuals claiming to be from banks or market researchers.
Letters
With incentives for handing over your information and credit card details.
Mail forwarding
Completing change-of-address forms to redirect your mail.
Mail interception
Obtaining documents that contain personal details.
Even the banks lose the odd credit card or two. Over 10,000 here(Four full cages on the right).
Unwanted Royal Mail 10-01-05.jpg

Chromatic

Legendary Member
James, Jim, and Jimmy are not different names.

I knew a guy who was adamant that John and Iain were the same name in Scotland (I have no idea if they are) he got in so many arguments with his bank that it started looking like a Monty Python sketch.

My name is James and I have been called, and still am depending on who is doing the calling, James, Jim and Jamie. When I was a young lad there was an old bloke that used to come in my Mum and Dads shop who was a Scot, he always called me Hamish, which apparently is the Scottish version of James.

Top Bottom