banking and not using your given name

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I is not making this siht up

sample6059B_0.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
Scotch whisky, sweet vermouth and bitters. (Manhattans) As it happens. But, in all seriousness, on the same form where you have to declare how many dead presidents, in excess of a certain amount, you are bringing in, you have to declare the value of goods you will be leaving in the you ess of ay when you depart. Along with all the trick questions like 'Are you are terrorist?' I kid you not. I filled it in very late last year. Not that it did me any good as I still had to stand in front of the damn machine, clicking the buttons, failing that test, and then had to go and talk to the nice immigration lady.
What happens if you don't declare it and you get stopped?

brand

Scotch whisky, sweet vermouth and bitters. (Manhattans) As it happens. But, in all seriousness, on the same form where you have to declare how many dead presidents, in excess of a certain amount, you are bringing in, you have to declare the value of goods you will be leaving in the you ess of ay when you depart. Along with all the trick questions like 'Are you are terrorist?' I kid you not. I filled it in very late last year. Not that it did me any good as I still had to stand in front of the damn machine, clicking the buttons, failing that test, and then had to go and talk to the nice immigration lady.
So HE not me, has to say everything he leaves behind when he comes on a visit to the UK? Or is it the other way round? You're post is exaggeration at best bollocks more likely. You do not have to tell immigration about the present president never mind previous ones. "Are you a terrorist I kid you not" utter rubbish. Stop polluting Whisky with alcohol which doesn't belong in the same glass, that way you might talk some sence!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
So HE not me, has to say everything he leaves behind when he comes on a visit to the UK? Or is it the other way round? You're post is exaggeration at best bollocks more likely. You do not have to tell immigration about the present president never mind previous ones. "Are you a terrorist I kid you not" utter rubbish. Stop polluting Whisky with alcohol which doesn't belong in the same glass, that way you might talk some sence!
Dead Presidents = US$. A fairly common euphemism.

When applying for a US visa waiver, or on presenting yourself at US immigration in absence of said visa waiver, you have to answer a series of questions one of which is

'Do you seek to engage or have you ever engaged in terrorist activities, espionage, sabotage or genocide?' - I kid you not, that is a cut'n'paste from a pdf of the form.

So. No exaggeration. No bollocks. Sorry to disappoint.

As to whisky I'll mix a blend as I see fit, ta very much, rather as the blenders intended me to.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
And, to be fair, more than anything else it pissed off the school bullies at my council estate primary school.. well, that and the Geordie accent (since subsumed on the grounds of survival, pet.)
I went the other way with the Geordie accent, moving the the heart of the North East at 10 with a hybrid Midland/East Anglian accent I got dogs abuse for the way I spoke, generally on the odd sliding scale of raging homosexual to cockney self abuser, 70s/80s Newcastle wasn't quite the cosmopolitan metropolis it is now.

I soon learned a decent Geordie accent to survive nights out and in some of the less salubrious bits where pals lived. My younger brother and sister are both quite broad but lilting Northumbrian Geordie rather than the more gutteral urban twang.

My inner Geordie still comes out when I've had a drink or two or when back up there for the football or family.

brand

Dead Presidents = US$. A fairly common euphemism.

When applying for a US visa waiver, or on presenting yourself at US immigration in absence of said visa waiver, you have to answer a series of questions one of which is

'Do you seek to engage or have you ever engaged in terrorist activities, espionage, sabotage or genocide?' - I kid you not, that is a cut'n'paste from a pdf of the form.

So. No exaggeration. No bollocks. Sorry to disappoint.

As to whisky I'll mix a blend as I see fit, ta very much, rather as the blenders intended me to.
Have you sobered up?
In reference to the terrorist bit, my apologies I wasn't aware they asked foreigner's that.
In reference to the whisky I have my doubts on that.
" US immigration in absence of said visa waiver" I don't know what one of those is. I thought they wouldn't let you in without a visa? Is this something to do with regular business trips to the US? Why haven't you got one?

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
" US immigration in absence of said visa waiver" I don't know what one of those is. I thought they wouldn't let you in without a visa? Is this something to do with regular business trips to the US? Why haven't you got one?

To make things easier for both sides some countries operate visa waiver schemes so you don't need to apply for a visa to travel. The U.S. & UK have one so we don't have to go to the US Embassy to beg admittance anymore. You still need a passport, you still go through customs & immigration when you arrive (or before you take off if flying from Dublin).

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Have you sobered up?
In reference to the terrorist bit, my apologies I wasn't aware they asked foreigner's that.
In reference to the whisky I have my doubts on that.
ESTA = US visa waiver process, means most folk travelling to USA for leisure or business don't need a visa. A grand idea. Unfortunately the technology at the three US airports I've been to in last three years has always failed to let me in without a manual inspection.

Sobriety is over-rated.

Brains

Legendary Member
I was given the same first name as my father but have always been called by my second one. It was a pretty daft thing for my parents to do but I couldn't argue about it at the time. The banks have never been much of a problem but the NHS just can't cope so I revert to the first name on my birth certificate to save everybody trouble.

I'm exactly the same, as was my father, grandfather, and great grandfather.
We all have the first name, we were/are called by our different second name

Top Bottom