Bar end mirrors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Ahhhh.... Methinks you are talking about these, pictured earlier:
View attachment 719045
Whereas the reference you replied to was one of these:
View attachment 719047

I used to use the top one and agree that you do need to time when you look based on where your leg is, though if pedalling rapidly your leg effectively disappears. (I changed to the bar end for aesthetic reasons and ease of removal, rather than functionality.)
That's the problem with the frame mounted mirror. You need to stop pedalling, swing your leg out and put your head down to look. It's only milliseconds but just glancing in a bar mirror is far quicker.
Swings and roundabouts I guess.

a.twiddler

Veteran
I fitted a fisheye mirror to the bar end of Mr's T's bike back in the days when I was trying to convert her to the virtues of drop handlebars but she said it just made her feel queasy. I tried it on my bike and I saw what she meant. There were alternate views of an immense knee filling the mirror then receding rapidly to a speck before rushing back to fill the mirror again. You could see behind quite well in between but it was very distracting. A flat glass doesn't give a good field of view; a slightly convex one seems to be the best compromise, and preferably somewhere in your normal eyeline, away from your whirling legs.

As for drop handlebars, we did manage a tour of the Bath/ Bristol area when the Bristol to Bath cycleway was seen as a sign of things to come. Oh what hopes we had of Sustrans back then. But she never did get on with the bars on her ladies' mixte tourer, and went back to flat ones.

Sharky

Guru
Anybody gone digital?

Screenshot_20240117_135338.jpg

Dadam

I've got 3.
This Hafny one for drop bars on the e-road bike:

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07YGSWNZQ

Zefal Cyclop on the e-mtb https://www.zefal.com/en/mirrors/105-cyclop.html
Zefal Dooback on the hybrid https://www.zefal.com/en/mirrors/426-316-dooback-ii.html#/80-model-right

I like the Hafny one best. It's the best quality, a slightly convex glass lens. The clearest image, and clear right to the edge but also the smallest one because the lens is smaller and slightly further away. Cars more than about 50-60 yards back are specks; hard to see unless they've got lights on. This is a trade off with field of view. It would be too narrow as a flat lens.

The Zefal ones are cheaper and plastic lenses, so have a little distortion at the edges Dooback is probably better because it's larger, squarer but it is "handed". The problem I have is when taking my hand off to signal I often catch the mirror. I should have bought the left hand one and mounted it below the bar instead of above. It also has a click system in the horizontal adjustment, so is easier to fold back into the normal orientation.

The Cyclop is more flexible but I've found it's too easy to move, even the wind at 20 mph can shift it a bit. I've found I have to tighten up the allen bolt regularly.

Looking for a small one for flat bars to put on my folder now as when on that bike I really miss having a mirror.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I used bar end mounted mirrors on straight bars for exactly the purpose mentioned by the OP ie to be aware of where my riding partner (Mrs @BoldonLad) was falling behind, catching, stopped etc. I was also a regular motorcyclist, my motorcycle had mirrors, but, for safety. sake, I always did an "over the shoulder check" before any manoeuvre, despite the mirrors, I always do the same when cycling.

Because they effectively increase the bar width, I did find they occasionally got knocked and damaged, I therefore made point using relatively inexpensive ones (eg £10-£15), typically from Amazon or EBay.

OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
I used bar end mounted mirrors on straight bars for exactly the purpose mentioned by the OP ie to be aware of where my riding partner (Mrs @BoldonLad) was falling behind, catching, stopped etc. I was also a regular motorcyclist, my motorcycle had mirrors, but, for safety. sake, I always did an "over the shoulder check" before any manoeuvre, despite the mirrors, I always do the same when cycling.

Because they effectively increase the bar width, I did find they occasionally got knocked and damaged, I therefore made point using relatively inexpensive ones (eg £10-£15), typically from Amazon or EBay.

Helpful, thank you

I am toying with the idea of bar end mirrors. This is not because I commute but because I ride with the GLW and because I am.much heavier I tend to pull away on downhill and flatter sections. I am quite erratic with my power output and she is much steadier and smoother. Overall we average the same speed but I would rather ride together and let her draft when I can.
Have you considered the notion of "ladies first"?. That solves the mirror problem.
If drafting is the goal, then surely a simple yelp out of her when you pull too far ahead would be the simple option?

Anyways...
I thought a bar end mirrors would help me keep her in view
I'm a big fan of mirrors and have gone from pricey ones to simple and cheap. It may just be me, but mine seem to get a hammering so cheap, bodgeable and flexible works for me. At the very least, a cheapy one gives an opportunity to test the concept before investing in a more expensive one.
My current one is one of a pair bought for €7.

I'm a big fan of mirrors and have gone from pricey ones to simple and cheap. It may just be me, but mine seem to get a hammering so cheap, bodgeable and flexible works for me. At the very least, a cheapy one gives an opportunity to test the concept before investing in a more expensive one.
My current one is one of a pair bought for €7.

My thoughts exactly - I just went for a cheap one to test the concept and it works fine
As I go on a lot of paths I end up going through those A-frame things a lot and it does tend to get knocked - if it breaks then it is no great loss

as far as the riding in a pair goes - is there not a simple comms device that could allow you to talk to each other
or does that bring up other problems with a married couple???

Mike_P

Guru
Have wondered if camera technology has a place in the time trial world? Have known several cases where riders have been riding head down and ridden into the back of vehicles, with fatal consequences.

Such a device, with forward facing camera, could enable a rider to adopt a much better aero position, with better safety.
Might as well be a turbo

Have wondered if camera technology has a place in the time trial world? Have known several cases where riders have been riding head down and ridden into the back of vehicles, with fatal consequences.

Such a device, with forward facing camera, could enable a rider to adopt a much better aero position, with better safety.

Good point
I have had fleeting thougth like that when watching TTs on the telly
They bomb along ina perfect position and have to break the perfection to look up occasionally

of course - it could add a few grammes of weight

Top Bottom