Bar end mirrors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Because of the nuisance when parking the bike I thought of trying a wrist mounted mirror, but never got around to it. (It's still on my Amazon wish list from 20.9.19)
Requires your right hand to be in the same position all the time, ouch, and definitely not much use on drop bars with the differing hand positions.

Because of the nuisance when parking the bike I thought of trying a wrist mounted mirror, but never got around to it. (It's still on my Amazon wish list from 20.9.19)

I tried one thinking that it would be very useful, off the bike as well. The reality was different. Uncomfortable to wear for a long time (but then again, I wasn't used to wearing a watch), it became surprisingly irritating because (apparently) I move my hands a lot when riding. Signalling etc. meant that I completely lost the rear view as well. A cheap, bendy one would probably serve your purposes better.

Dadam

I just put up with the annoyance of it shifting when parking the bike. I just take a few seconds before setting off to check and adjust the view.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Have wondered if camera technology has a place in the time trial world? Have known several cases where riders have been riding head down and ridden into the back of vehicles, with fatal consequences.

Such a device, with forward facing camera, could enable a rider to adopt a much better aero position, with better safety.

Couldn't you do that with just a mirror? Surely someone must have tried that?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Use an upside down mini-periscope? :whistle:

But would it matter that it would be upside down anyway?

Good point. The rider's not going to think. "Ah ha! There's a parked car ahead. Oh, it's OK it's an upside down one, I'll ignore it"

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Have you considered the notion of "ladies first"?. That solves the mirror problem.
If drafting is the goal, then surely a simple yelp out of her when you pull too far ahead would be the simple option?

Anyways...

I'm a big fan of mirrors and have gone from pricey ones to simple and cheap. It may just be me, but mine seem to get a hammering so cheap, bodgeable and flexible works for me. At the very least, a cheapy one gives an opportunity to test the concept before investing in a more expensive one.
My current one is one of a pair bought for €7.

Personally, yes, I prefer Mrs @BoldonLad to ride in front, and, set the pace.

However, Mrs @BoldonLad prefers to follow, her reasons are:

a) if we make a wrong turn, it is automatically my fault

b) she doesn't like giving me the pleasure of letching at her rather trim bottom, if she is cycling in front

;)

presta

Guru
Requires your right hand to be in the same position all the time, ouch, and definitely not much use on drop bars with the differing hand positions.
Yes, I did wonder about that, but wasn't sure whether it would prove to be a disadvantage or an advantage being able to move the mirror at will.

Bristolian

Have wondered if camera technology has a place in the time trial world? Have known several cases where riders have been riding head down and ridden into the back of vehicles, with fatal consequences.

Such a device, with forward facing camera, could enable a rider to adopt a much better aero position, with better safety.
I can vouch for how much that can hurt. When I was still at school I ran into the back of a parked car during a time trial and broke both of my thumbs. Jeez that hurt! I spent almost a whole term unable to write because I couldn't hold a pen and unable to ride the bike because I couldn't put any force into braking.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I can vouch for how much that can hurt. When I was still at school I ran into the back of a parked car during a time trial and broke both of my thumbs. Jeez that hurt! I spent almost a whole term unable to write because I couldn't hold a pen and unable to ride the bike because I couldn't put any force into braking.

As a youth I did the same thing, but I didn't have the excuse of a TT (I've never cycled competitively) just general idiocy. I broke the down tube of my bike, bent the forks out of recognition and destroyed the front wheel. The car ( a Vauxhall Chevette) needed a new rear door. Me? Apart from a pulled thigh muscle I was fine. Eejit.

Bristolian

As a youth I did the same thing, but I didn't have the excuse of a TT (I've never cycled competitively) just general idiocy. I broke the down tube of my bike, bent the forks out of recognition and destroyed the front wheel. The car ( a Vauxhall Chevette) needed a new rear door. Me? Apart from a pulled thigh muscle I was fine. Eejit.

Yeah, I didn't bother to mention the damage to the bike - it never saw the light of combat again :sad: I was sponsored by Ti Raleigh at the time and they just replaced it :smile:

a.twiddler

Veteran
What you time triallists need is a reverse version of these!
90 degree reading specs.jpg

Unless you wore them upside down. There must be a market for that type of thing, too, with people working on jobs over their heads.
Perhaps there would be more danger from others losing control and colliding with you while laughing hysterically than there actually would be from yourselves with your head down, running into things.

Top Bottom