Bar end mirrors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
I am toying with the idea of bar end mirrors. This is not because I commute but because I ride with the GLW and because I am.much heavier I tend to pull away on downhill and flatter sections. I am quite erratic with my power output and she is much steadier and smoother. Overall we average the same speed but I would rather ride together and let her draft when I can.

I thought a bar end mirrors would help me keep her in view. Anyone else use them for this purpose? Or for group riding. Have found two that might be useful. Which would you go for?
1. Larger, fully adjustable
Screenshot_20240116_074943.jpg

2. More discreet
16209-52107-main-bm45-bar-end-mirror-41.jpg

abcd efg

Über Member
I used a bar end mirror on a bike with turned down 'bars and thought it was remarkable as a safety device.

a.twiddler

Veteran
As a recumbent rider I find a mirror essential but I rode for years on conventional bikes with a mirror and got to the stage where I felt uncomfortable without one.

There are many available, but for some years I've used various versions of the Mirrycle. A bit pricier than some, but for flat bars a Mountain Mirrycle stays put yet is easily adjustable and doesn't suffer from vibration. It has a slightly convex glass lens which gives a good field of view allowing you to judge distance without the fisheye effect that some have. Despite being glass it's quite tough and will take some knocks. You can fold it in for storage, parking, train travel etc though will need to reset it afterwards as it's not a click in/click out design.

I would recommend a slightly larger mirror for a bar end as your eyes are further away from it than something on a stem nearer to your eyes. If it moves slightly you can still see behind without having to adjust it. If you have a mini mirror adjustment is more critical.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I use the larger one and wouldnt be without it, perfectly adequate for getting info on whats behind.
True. I have been using them recently and they are helpful.
The problem with bar end mirrors is they can get damaged or knocked out of adjustment.
Unfortunately, also true! I have damaged/lost a couple so far. The latest is lasting better because I am being more careful to fold it away when not in use.

Chief Broom

Veteran
The problem with bar end mirrors is they can get damaged or knocked out of adjustment.
I tried a frame mounted device which worked quite well but you need to swing your leg out.

View attachment 718989
Cycleops I find this reasoning illogical! Any mirror on any vehicle can get damaged and knocked out of alignment. Its not about aesthetics by any chance why youve gone for the more svelte and largely useless option :laugh: To realign a mirror takes seconds and theyre fairly robust- ive had the same mirror for a couple of years :okay:

Mike_P

Guru
I use mirrors on straight bars, on drop bars I found I usually had it tucked under the drop bar and, having a Garmin Varia, by the time I realised it would be useful have it aligned was too late. On the last change of bar tape consequently I removed it. On straight bars I find it possible to site the mirror under the bar still with appropriate visibility and hence less likely to get knocked. Certainly useful in town where the ebike spends it's life, even when using the Varia as well as that detects cars that far away there is still plenty of scope normally to a right. The mirror allows you keep a eye on any appalling road surface ahead.

I have a Zefal Spy mirror on the end of drop bars. They are very small, but fairly convex, so the positioning is not too critical. They stay in place very well and are well insulated from road vibrations, so the view is good. It's just a secure band around the bar and I have one mirror and two bikes, so I remove it as a matter of course after every ride, which takes 1-2 seconds to remove and 3-4 to replace and adjust. That's advantageous since any knocks don't matter; you just move it back into place. Invaluable, especially when combined with a Varia radar.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zefal-95293-Double-Adjustment-Mirror/dp/B000FY05PG?th=1

Sharky

Guru
I tried a bar end mirror with drops, during recovery from broken colorbone. Wasn't able to turn my head easily for a while. It helped, but discarded it when fully recovered.

One of my work colleagues used a helmet mirror and really recommended one.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have a Zefal Spy mirror on the end of drop bars. They are very small, but fairly convex, so the positioning is not too critical. They stay in place very well and are well insulated from road vibrations, so the view is good. It's just a secure band around the bar and I have one mirror and two bikes, so I remove it as a matter of course after every ride, which takes 1-2 seconds to remove and 3-4 to replace and adjust. That's advantageous since any knocks don't matter; you just move it back into place. Invaluable, especially when combined with a Varia radar.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zefal-95293-Double-Adjustment-Mirror/dp/B000FY05PG?th=1

And (according to some of the pictures on the linked Amazon page) they can be mounted on the handlebar stem too. Transparent cyclists find that very convenient! :laugh:

When I eventually kill off/lose the last of my current mirrors I will give the Spy a go.

Top Bottom