Bar end shifters for non indexed gears can you get them ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello all,
I've converted my Clements road bike to use as my commuter by cutting and flipping the bars so they are effectively bull horns for two reasons one I have always ridden mountain bikes with bar ends as thats how my hands/wrists are comfortable
and two trying to brake with the GT levers was impossible due to lack of leverage/chrome rims. I intend to put some wider bull horns on in the end but ideally could do with the shifters being mounted on the bar ends so I can brake and change gear with my hands on the bars, is it possible to get bar end shifters for non indexed gears and do they fit inside the bars ? has anyone else a similar set up ?

Thanks all

raleighnut

Legendary Member
With the Shimano ones I've got you can switch the indexing off, they're Dura-Ace 7700 and at one time they were cheap cos they only indexed correctly with the correct 8 or 9 speed cassette and the Dura-ace rear mech due to their unique spacing however time moves on and Shimano now use that spacing (nearly) on 8 speed cassettes (But not 9 speed) more people have 'twigged' this so the price has gone back up sadly.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I'll just point out that those Sunrace shifters are 9 speed indexed only for the RH - You can't disconnect the indexing like you can with Shimano ones. The price is also per shifter, so for a pair they aren't quite as much of a bargain as they first appear.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
microshift bar end shifters can be set to work on friction or indexed. I have friction on the triple ring front mech and indexed 9 speed on rear on my tourer.I really like them.

Moi aussi. And if you are worried about knocking them with your knees when honking, flared bars like Salsa Cowchippers are an option.

Top Bottom