Bar ends for Brompton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Melvil

Hi all,

I've got a Brompton on order (S6L) but before it comes I'd just like to pick your brains as to a) whether any of you use bar ends with an S and b) if so which ones - since they need to be stubby enough to be able to fold up OK.

Any advice much appreciated!

Cheers,

Mel.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I have the Ergon GP2 on my S6L and they work a treat :-)

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
On my S type I have the Cane Creek Ergos. I've never got on with Ergons, on a 140 mile ride I had to spin the Ergons round, because they were causing me extreme and very painful hand cramps.

Last edited:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I don't use bar ends with my S. I am open to the idea & looking for the perfect for me set as I prioritise a bar end mirror over the extra hand position, so finish up an awkward lump at the right hand end if I try some types of bar end grip. Depending on how tall you are I think they would be a very good addition, I find at 5'11 on an S bar I can get hand tired with just the one position after 20 odd miles and end up with a few creative hand positions to help (@Fnaar)

Last edited:

12boy

Guru
I have the Ergon GP2s as well and I find them pretty good. I actually wore out a pair of the cork Ergons coupled with some no name cut down bar ends. They were a bit larger and the bar ends longer and were more comfortable. Still after 10 miles or so I start to experience some discomfort and by 20 I need a break. I really prefer the "shake hands" position of bar ends, bull horns, moustache bars etc but haven't found a way to deal with the fold issue other than a QR on the stem and an Aber Hallo to get the bar further forward. Still, for commuting 10-15 miles or less the Ergons are pretty good. Bar end mirrors are nice but the stem is easily broken if the bike falls over.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I use these on my H and M type B's.

http://i-grip.procraft.de

They use the inner of the tube to grip and in effect give me a 2" grip extension either side and still folds up with no issues.
Very comfy and cheaper to buy from rose bikes or discount bikes in Germany than SJS Cycles.

OP
OP
M

Melvil

Thanks all for the (nice and not too expensive) suggestions - a few avenues to pursue for when the b*****ton finally comes!

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Ergon copies from Edinburgh Bike Coop plus a bar end mirror on one side. Does not interfere with fold and are essential for comfort.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Melvil the ones I got look the same but I made a hole in the outside of one to take a plug for mirror which stays in position and does not interfere with folding. Just have to be a bit careful parking the folded bike not to bash the mirror. Never found it a problem. I carry an appropriate size allen key to tighten the mirror as vibration can slacken it and thereby makes it useless unless kept tight.

Kell

Veteran
I like bar ends. Always have done. And the one's I've got on my Brommie came off my 1994 Orange P7.

They're just standard 90's bar ends. But as I commute all through the winter, I slid some cheap foam grips over the top because my hands used to get really cold from the metal. And then when they split, I added some very fetching Duck Tape over the top...

Might not look the best, but they're really comfy and help to extend the riding position a fair bit.

However, on a cautionary note, I did buy an H6L because I knew I was going to put small risers bars on with bar ends and figured the extra ground clearance would help.

13055405_10153387180991021_7546261679162683282_n.jpg

13124494_10153387180821021_5151761955718171106_n.jpg

Top Bottom