Bar ends?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
Ergon bar ends will change your life if you have endured straight bars up to now. Stay with the integrated Ergon shape and concept but look for cheaper alternatives. I've had Ergon, BBB and one house brand and there was no difference in quality. The Ergons were always more than double the price.

Stay away from sticky rubberised bar ends like Cane Creek. Those are highly favoured by MTB marathon riders who apparently feel that the super stickiness helps you reduce hand clamping pressure but they are impossible to live with, especially if your bike lives in a small space with you. Each time you walk past the bike and so much as touch the grips, they grip your clothes and the bike is toppled. It is a weird but serious side effect.

I found these BBB's I think it must be these you referred to?

Also some Procraft ones, these are integrated as well but different!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 61
I found these BBB's I think it must be these you referred to?

Also some Procraft ones, these are integrated as well but different!
If the BBB ones are significantly cheaper than the real deal (Ergon), get them. The benefit is not only the horn but also the paddle-shaped grip. Tehse take a bit of getting used to and have to be adjusted to follow the line of your arm from shoulder to bar. That way it keeps your wrist in a comfortable position and reduced late-ride this pain in the wrist. A mistake is to adjust the paddles so that they are horizontal. This angles the wrist wrt to the arm and causes pain after time.

The horns come in different lengths with some bars. The length is personal, I enjoyed the shorties rather than the Texas-steer length.

The others in the photos don't offer the advantages of the Ergon style.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
If the BBB ones are significantly cheaper than the real deal (Ergon), get them. The benefit is not only the horn but also the paddle-shaped grip. Tehse take a bit of getting used to and have to be adjusted to follow the line of your arm from shoulder to bar. That way it keeps your wrist in a comfortable position and reduced late-ride this pain in the wrist. A mistake is to adjust the paddles so that they are horizontal. This angles the wrist wrt to the arm and causes pain after time.

The horns come in different lengths with some bars. The length is personal, I enjoyed the shorties rather than the Texas-steer length.

The others in the photos don't offer the advantages of the Ergon style.

Fantastic thanks for your help, the BBB's were around £5 cheaper, and a little slimmer than Ergons I was worried about things getting pushed together on the bars.

The procraft ones you have a choice of grips some are more Ergon like.

Attachments

• Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 42

NickTB

Veteran
Ergons are the quality option, but I also have cheaper ones and they do the job.

If a bit of extra width is a concern, you may get some improvement by fitting simple palm - teardrop profile - grips with no ends.

Something like these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEDALPRO-DUAL-DENSITY-ERGO-COMFORT-BICYCLE-HANDLEBAR-BAR-GRIPS-MTB-BIKE-CYCLE/331068799399?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=38661&meid=b70e1e937dc047d8ba2b9c45aa3c7d1a&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=311659697635

I bought these and used them on the London to Brighton run last week. Fantastic bit of kit for the price. Suffered no aches or pins and needles. Talking of bar ends, I find mine a bot on the small size. do they come in different lengths, and if so, is there a particular purpose for longer ones?

Last edited:

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
I like the Ergon range, but got fed up with out board bar ends catching on doorways, clothing, straps, bags and anything thing else close by. I solved that problem by getting grips without bar ends, but mounting separate bar end in board of the grips. This still gives you the alternate hand position, but stops the bike trying to be every things best friend. I also found out board bar ends to make propping the bike against a wall more unstable. In board solved that issue too. FYI, I stopped using Ergon grips because of the price, There are plenty of other shaped grips that give the wrist the same support, without being as plush or expensive as the Ergon range.

Goggs

Guru
I like the Ergon range, but got fed up with out board bar ends catching on doorways, clothing, straps, bags and anything thing else close by. I solved that problem by getting grips without bar ends, but mounting separate bar end in board of the grips. This still gives you the alternate hand position, but stops the bike trying to be every things best friend. I also found out board bar ends to make propping the bike against a wall more unstable. In board solved that issue too. FYI, I stopped using Ergon grips because of the price, There are plenty of other shaped grips that give the wrist the same support, without being as plush or expensive as the Ergon range.

I hear you. I have a pair in my Tredz basket right now but £51 for bar-ends is hugely expensive.

Goggs

Guru
Is this the correct setup for lever positions etc?

http://enduro-mtb.com/en/how-to-set-up-your-brake-levers-perfectly/

Some of my issue is 100% levers to high position if this page is correct.

I would suggest you sit on the bike in a relaxed position, put your hands on the bars & extend your fingers in a straight line from your arm. Your wrists shouldn't be bending back on themselves. Then position the levers where your fingers naturally fall.

Stay away from sticky rubberised bar ends like Cane Creek. Those are highly favoured by MTB marathon riders who apparently feel that the super stickiness helps you reduce hand clamping pressure but they are impossible to live with, especially if your bike lives in a small space with you. Each time you walk past the bike and so much as touch the grips, they grip your clothes and the bike is toppled. It is a weird but serious side effect.
I have a pair on a bike - I think they are very good. Not saying your problem isn't real, but it's a niche issue, being touched up by your bar-ends, and I don't think it will be a deal breaker for many.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
I have a pair on a bike - I think they are very good. Not saying your problem isn't real, but it's a niche issue, being touched up by your bar-ends, and I don't think it will be a deal breaker for many.

Hi can you remember which ends you have? are they the crane ones mentioned?

Top Bottom