Bar ends?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Probably, but it's a personal choice. Try out a pair: they need not be expensive and are an expendable item.

ok thank you very much.
Aldi have then for £3.99 I think not the best quality but cheap enough to try & upgrade if you get on with them

Hi can you remember which ends you have? are they the crane ones mentioned?
They look like this:

http://www.avonvalleycyclery.co.uk/...currency=GBP&gclid=CLe28dX1k88CFRSNGwodFKMP5g

Mine came on my Dahon Speed Pro as standard.

The Speed Pro isn't a mountain bike but a sort of road bike and I'd say that these bar ends are ideal for that sort of bike. If you look closely you will see that they attach to the bars some way up from the bottom, meaning that a bit of the bar end comes towards you from the bar - ie: it's not all out out front. For a sports bike this gives a really nice grip. I have used them extensively riding in the Med so the "rubber" isn't uncomfortable in the heat.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
They look like this:

http://www.avonvalleycyclery.co.uk/...currency=GBP&gclid=CLe28dX1k88CFRSNGwodFKMP5g

Mine came on my Dahon Speed Pro as standard.

The Speed Pro isn't a mountain bike but a sort of road bike and I'd say that these bar ends are ideal for that sort of bike. If you look closely you will see that they attach to the bars some way up from the bottom, meaning that a bit of the bar end comes towards you from the bar - ie: it's not all out out front. For a sports bike this gives a really nice grip. I have used them extensively riding in the Med so the "rubber" isn't uncomfortable in the heat.

ta mate more food for thought!

Longer ones help when climbing.
Agree.

Personally I like these a lot. Now discounted.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.KF-Knurled-Bar-Ends_16718.htm

I have a pair on a hybrid/tourer and bought a second pair for a new build - paid almost £20 for the last lot which is a lot for bar ends for a skinflint like me.

I like the fact that they are knurled - I don't really like smooth metal on bar ends, particularly in the heat. They feel near indestructible - have had my first pair close on 20 years. Some of the "posher" bar ends like Ergon look to me as if they wouldn't take kindly to being leant against a wall though I admit that I don't have in-the-field experience of them. The KF ones are also good if you need to turn the bike over - they protect handlebar fittings, though you would of course remove any lights/electronics.

Goggs

Guru
The clamp is too wide on those for my linking. In fact, I have my bars so narrow that bar-ends just won't fit at all.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Some of the "posher" bar ends like Ergon look to me as if they wouldn't take kindly to being leant against a wall though I admit that I don't have in-the-field experience of them..

I smacked one of my Ergon bar ends against a dry stone wall while riding at about 12mph.

It kept me upright and the bar end meant the bars didn't snag in the masonry.

There's a scuff on the bar end, but no other damage.

That shows the toughness of Ergons, but I agree they are too much money for what they are, particularly when there are other grips for a few pounds which are just as comfy and will last for years in normal use.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Edit: to help with road vibration are the gloves I would need something with "gel" pads?
I think the best solution to road vibration is to lower your tyre pressures. My bikes are incredibly uncomfortable on my rough local road surfaces at 100+ psi. At 90-95 psi rear, and 80-85 psi front, they are fine. (You don't need as much on the front because more than half of your weight is on the rear wheel.)

I also have shock-absorbing pads under my bartape. You can get the same effect with gel bar tape or using doubled up bar tape.

I just use ordinary padded gloves.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
I think the best solution to road vibration is to lower your tyre pressures. My bikes are incredibly uncomfortable on my rough local road surfaces at 100+ psi. At 90-95 psi rear, and 80-85 psi front, they are fine. (You don't need as much on the front because more than half of your weight is on the rear wheel.)

I also have shock-absorbing pads under my bartape. You can get the same effect with gel bar tape or using doubled up bar tape.

I just use ordinary padded gloves.

I hadn't thought about pressure I will let them down to around 85, I changed the rotation of my levers on my bars that has helped as well.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I hadn't thought about pressure I will let them down to around 85, I changed the rotation of my levers on my bars that has helped as well.
If you go too low then you risk getting pinch punctures and the tyres don't roll well, but I find 85-95 psi a good compromise. It is certainly worth experimenting with pressures to see what is best for you. (The actual pressures would be affected by tyre type, tyre size and your body weight.)

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
If you go too low then you risk getting pinch punctures and the tyres don't roll well, but I find 85-95 psi a good compromise. It is certainly worth experimenting with pressures to see what is best for you. (The actual pressures would be affected by tyre type, tyre size and your body weight.)

Ah ok I will try 95 see how it feels, then ramp it down further if needed.

Ajax Bay

Guru
@Johnno260 have a look at this chart as a guide to tyre pressures. Your weight plus bike and any load weight. Divide 55%/45% rear/front. Read off on tyre width line for each wheel.

Attachments

• TyreInflationPressures.pdf
    201.6 KB · Views: 62
D

Deleted member 26715

My cheapy ones arrived yesterday didn't get round o putting them on as I went out for a ride instead, is there a correct angle to have the flat bit for the palm or is it trial & error?

Top Bottom