bar taping help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
if you had Moustache Handlebars, would you start taping from the stem, or the outer end? and why?

8884nitto_xl.jpg

Globalti

Legendary Member
I used to tape thousands of bars a week in a bike factory and I always started at the inside, finishing with the end plug. However I have recently been told I was wrong and that you should go inwards so that the overlap lies right for when you slide your hands outwards or forwards along the bars.

Alves

I would always start at the ends and work inwards to the centre of the bars as above.
This keeps the tendency of the tape to unroll as you move your hands around the bars and lean forward to a minimum.
Incidentally Hope have some very bling bar end plugs, I got a pair recently and they look pretty neat, they'd look even better on moustache bars cos they'd be even more visible. see http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Hope_Grip_Doctor_Bar_End_Plugs/5300005122/

robbarker

Just like drops (they are drops, with less drop!) Start at the ends, tape clockwise ont he right and anticlockwiseon the left. That way the nads natural tendency to slide forwards and outwards tightens the tape rather than unfurls it.

OP
OP
H

hubgearfreak

Über Member
Twenty Inch said:
Haynes is known in motoring circles as the "Book of Lies". Good to see that they are maintaining their fine tradition for bikes.

it is beyond my comprehension why one would buy their books with help like this site, sheldon, park tools & etc.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I've been thinking about for far more time that is right and i can't find the right way.

If you go end in then it could unwind by gripping at the ends, but then if you ride near the brakes then its possibly right to wind in from the middle.

anyway, its confuzzled me completely. could it be right that both ways will be fine?

robbarker

On the drops you tend to twist the tape outward, on the hoods you tend to twist it inward.

If you put your tape on from the ends inwards - winding clockwise on the right and anticlockwise of the left, the tape is stable for both of these hand positions.

If you ride on the tops a lot - for example if you ride in the hills most of the time - then you tend to pull back on the tape, in which case anticlockwise on the right and clockwise on the left is best. I prefer the former, but you pays your money and you takes yer choice..

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Out in - more of an issue with cork ribbon etc - was never a problem with the plastic stuff, but when you use cork, you need to go outer (end) of bars in - the other way will cause the tape edge to peal off and look a right mess !

OP
OP
H

hubgearfreak

Über Member
Steve Austin said:
I've been thinking about for far more time that is right

If you go end in then it could unwind by gripping at the ends

that's my fear. i spend 95% of the time gripping the ends of the bars and am worrined that it'll ruffle up on the overlapping bits. i acknowledge that if they were drops, most of the time i'd spend on the tops and end in would be the best (or only) way. but these aren't drops, not will i spend much time with my hands on the equivalent of the tops.

steve, you maybe the only one who's thought about it at all, so thanks.;)

Top Bottom