Barcelona scams

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
I've been a couple of times to Barcelona. Never had any problems, but had heard of horror stories on the web. Just keep your wits about you as you would do in any metropolis.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
killiekosmos said:
...try getting the tram and funicular to top of Tibidabo (the big church on top of the even bigger hill inland),visit the natural history museum on the way back (get off tram half way down)...

Just up the road from the bottom of the tram tracks, I found a gate that appealed to my puerile sense of humour:

got-to-get-fit

I went on a stag night and one of my mates was mugged. Mind you he was a stupid git. We had heard the stories and said we would make sure none of us wandered home on our own. But this numpty decided he wanted to go home at1am and sauntered home up las ramblas and onto a very poorly lit side street that our apartment was on...someone pushed him into a doorway and threatened him. he handed over his wallet and cash.

That was the only incident though.....oh apart from being mugged in the bars over the cost of bottles of shampoo

I think you will be fine as long as you are sensible. If the worst happens and you are mugged then just hand it over, your bloke may be big but he is no match for a knife. You can cancel your cards in the blink of an eye and usually get a replacement the next day.

I've been twice bu tnot for a good few years and had a great time. I kept my walet in an isidepocket of a light jacket ad kept it fastened in the touristy bits. Didn't take a phone or anything valuabe out with me. Just don't drink too much and the kids are the worst for pick pocketing, or so I've been told, so just watch out. We ignored everyone in the tourist bits and had fun out at night and only carried cash when we were drinking.

Do people in Barcelona still carry rucksacks on their front so no-one can go through them from behind?

Be careful when getting on the tram, pickpockets like to wait until the doors are closing, dip in the pocket and then back off. This means your on the tram and they are safe with your wallet at the station. I had this, but felt them in my pocket and swang an elbow, much to the thiefs suprise.

Great city though and well worth it if you are a bit savvy.

asterix

Comrade Member
Had my wallet taken somehow in Barcelona, only time it's ever happened anywhere.. It was Xmas eve and we had landed, got a taxi and then a train out of the city.

Luckily the only item of any value was my UK credit card which they used for a while on the toll roads. Although I reported the loss immediately the card company (Halifax) tried to bill me, unsuccessfully.

postman

Legendary Member
Two Giants were out for a walk when fog came down.

" I'll put my hand down through the fog and find out where we are."said the first Giant.

"China"

"How did you know that?"

"Felt the Great Wall of China" said the first Giant.

On they walked.

"Where are we now"?

The first Giant put his hand down through the fog.

"France"

"How do you know"?

"Just felt 150 bicycles run over my fingers" said the first Giant.

On they went.

The second Giant said "i'll try to work out where we are"

Bringing his hand back through the fog,"Meanwood Leeds" he replies.

"And how did you work that out" ? asked the first Giant.

"Some little scrote just pinched my watch".

Replied the second Giant.

TVC

Back from Barca yesterday, there are a lot of visible police around the old town and port areas, and talking to a guy on the hotel reception they are really trying to sort out the scroats. In my opinion, the West End at 11pm is a much more dodgy place than La Rambla.

Cathryn - Enjoy.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Great, thanks for the update. Looks like the Spanish police are taking it seriously!! I've also learned some spanish phrases including 'I don't believe you are a genuine policeman' which I quite fancy trying out.

Glad you had a good time - anything you'd recommend??

TVC

Hi Cathryn,

La Sagrada Familia is the most stunning building I have ever seen, get there early because it's packed with Japanese coachloads by lunchtime. The beach front is worth a stroll, particularly if your husband is partial to watching topless women, but the restaurants down there are a bit over priced for what they serve.
The city centre is full of quaint shops you can't get over here like Accesorize, Topshop. C&A, Next etc.

Where are you staying? The Aerobus is by far the best way to get into town from the airport.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
The Velvet Curtain said:
Hi Cathryn,
The beach front is worth a stroll, particularly if your husband is partial to watching topless women,

I suspect he is quite partial.

We're staying in the Born, to the east of the Ramblas near the park. Really looking forward to it now.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Haven't got time to tell you the full (hilarious) story but I knew a Texan who got robbed twice in one evening in London.

Crankarm

Guru
Maz said:
I've been a couple of times to Barcelona. Never had any problems, but had heard of horror stories on the web. Just keep your wits about you as you would do in any metropolis.

What happens if they even pinch your wits?