Barclays Cycle Hire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Yesterday the first test cycle hire station was built in Southwark Street. A further one was compleated today and two more are currently being built.
Below are a few pictures as to how they look.
1276704510_80.177.117.97.jpg

1276704493_80.177.117.97.jpg

A video was released today as a tutorial on how to use and what you should do with the bikes in various situations. very well thought out.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hChuqzTud4

Read more on my blog, including a link to all the planned locations of the hire stations.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
A map and a sign next to it, that's almost sensible!

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
marinyork said:
A map and a sign next to it, that's almost sensible!

It also has a computer screen, if the station is full it will show you the way to the next station and add some time to allow you to get there. I wonder how much a contractor milked then for that idea.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Quite interesting watching the installation. These started in the winter by WH Smugs in Holborn and also in Montague St by the British Museum.

Groundworks and services go in first but after making good just a line of square steel covers reamin bolted to the road. Presumably these conceal all the necessary connections and all that is then needed is for the parking stands and pay station to go in. Thought nearest to the office was going to be Bell Yard but they're just in process of putting one in across the end of Bream's Buildings. Literally across the road - very good for the days when I can't use the Brommy.

Bad Company

The Next Stig !
I read that they had chosen Canadian made bikes which is a shame.

Also I would not like to cycle in London without my helmet. Still it offers another choice of how to get around which must be good.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Bromptonaut said:
Quite interesting watching the installation. These started in the winter by WH Smugs in Holborn and also in Montague St by the British Museum.

Groundworks and services go in first but after making good just a line of square steel covers reamin bolted to the road. Presumably these conceal all the necessary connections and all that is then needed is for the parking stands and pay station to go in. Thought nearest to the office was going to be Bell Yard but they're just in process of putting one in across the end of Bream's Buildings. Literally across the road - very good for the days when I can't use the Brommy.

My nearest station is RIGHT outside my office. YEAH :smile:

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
marinyork said:
Good work. Let us know if someone plots all the docking stations or draws a decent map of them.

I cannot understand why that info is not already on TfL's website. Can see those near the office but where's the nearest to Euston?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
marinyork said:
Good work. Let us know if someone plots all the docking stations or draws a decent map of them.

I picked one up at Aldgate tube a couple of days ago. It's part of the leaflet from TFL that introduces and publicises the scheme.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I'm sure someone can do it bromptonaut. The 397 station road and postcode locations don't mean anything to me, not being familiar with London though.

I believe by pure guess work looking at the coordinates that Doric Way may be the closest to Euston.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
One problem is that sometimes you get to the station you want to dock at and there are no free spaces. I found this in Vienna and had to wait around for someone else to take a bike out...

Fine if you're a tourist and just pootling around, not so good if the station outside your office is full.

But then I don't think this scheme is intended for London's office workers...

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
marinyork said:
I'm sure someone can do it bromptonaut. The 397 station road and postcode locations don't mean anything to me, not being familiar with London though.

I believe by pure guess work looking at the coordinates that Doric Way may be the closest to Euston.

I cannot even find that infomation; all that's on the TfL webpage is a general map of the scheme area.

Top Bottom