barn find

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scarygerbil

hi
I am new here but thought this would be an ideal place to ask for advice.
while I am not a great bike rider I do use an old carlton for what I would call commuting rides; seeing this a friend of mine just gave me a Parkes Magpie Lightwieght he found in a barn. I would like to restore this as that's were my interest lies.
any advice would be gratefully recieved
DSC_0739.JPG
DSC_0741.JPG

classic33

Leg End Member

earlestownflya

it's gonna need more than a clean to get it rideable,other than the frame,everything else looks shot,but you can source these parts,first thing...get some plus gas down that head tube and anywhere else it's seized ,leave it working overnight,then get it to bare frame and see what you've got.keep the shot parts in a box as a reference for the re-build.get the frame to a professional.it's gonna take time..and money....but ooohh what a bike you'll have...i'm very jealous:smile:

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
That is nice and most parts may be salvageable. The only parts that may be too far gone are maybe the brakes and wheels. Looks like Benelux gears, GB stem, more than likely a Williams crank and hopefully some decent pedals.

If those brakes are too far gone then I would suggest changing them to some nice center pulls. As for wheels I'm sure some replacements could be found. It all depends on whether you want a period resto vs something nice to ride. I have 2 royal enfields from the 50s which one is fully original and the other has newer wheels and center pulls. For riding the one with newer wheels and brakes is better but for looks and nostalgia you can't beat the all original.

I'm more than happy to give you some advice if you need any help.

OP
OP
scarygerbil

scarygerbil

first thank you for all the replies which spured me on to spend a sunny afternoon stripping down the frame. all the nuts were nice and easy to remove even the cotter pins just took one tap. The only part that wouldn't come off wasw the front mud guard
it seems to have four speed Benelux gears, Bayless wiley bb and a gb stem and handle bars.
I would like to do a period resto but have one question how easy would it be to attach the rear hub to a new wheel?
DSC_0763.JPG
DSC_0769.JPG
DSC_0766.JPG

You have done a good job so far, the frame is looking a lot better now that you have cleaned it.
I have been using Hamerite rust removing gel on my rusty chrome parts. Parts which I thought were way beyond it have cleaned up remarkably well.
Good luck with your restoration.

classic33

Leg End Member

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If the hub runs well then it's just a matter of getting a wheelbuilder to lace a new rim on to it, try to find an 'old-fashioned' bike shop though and not a modern place (they won't have a clue)

OP
OP
scarygerbil

scarygerbil

DSC_0773.JPG
DSC_0775.JPG
DSC_0778.JPG

hi thought I would update the rebuild and ask for some help
first the ive stripped down the frame and cleaned everything trying to leave the patina. I am now ready to reassemble but have hit a couple of problems.
trying to source a 27x1/4 inch 40 hole wheel or rim seems nigh on impossible also I need two brake lever clamps (see photo)
any ideas would be gratefully received.
also finaly found the id number but cant find any reference anywere

Top Bottom