Barrel adjuster direction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
If I'm following instructions on setting up brakes/gears, and it says turn the barrel adjuster clockwise, and my barrel adjuster is near the handlebars, is that clockwise looking from the bars along the path of the cable, or is it looking along the path of the cable up towards the bars?

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Towards the bars.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
So looking along the cable towards the bars, clockwise always effectively tightens the cable? If so, that helps.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Depends on which way the barrel adjuster is facing. A barrel adjuster 'screws in' to reduce the effective dimension of the cable. Think about it. Most likely it's 'facing' towards the bars.

When in doubt, grab some exposed inner cable and twist the barrel adjuster two or three complete rotations in either direction and use your spidey-sense to feel which way the tension is going, that or get a sight on the derailleur. Just make a mental note of how many complete rotations you made so you can put it back where it was after.

It helps when you setup the cable for the first time, and after each release of cable tension that you reset the barrel adjuster position. Fully wind it in, then move back out 3 full rotations, that way you've got plenty of give in either direction. You'll know you wound too far out (wrong direction) when the adjuster comes apart in two pieces in your hand. Don't ask me how I know. Never fear, they usually go back together, usually... :laugh:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
When in doubt, grab some exposed inner cable and twist the barrel adjuster two or three complete rotations in either direction and use your spidey-sense to feel which way the tension is going, that or get a sight on the derailleur. Just make a mental note of how many complete rotations you made so you can put it back where it was after.

It helps when you setup the cable for the first time, and after each release of cable tension that you reset the barrel adjuster position. Fully wind it in, then move back out 3 full rotations, that way you've got plenty of give in either direction. You'll know you wound too far out (wrong direction) when the adjuster comes apart in two pieces in your hand. Don't ask me how I know. :laugh:

So when you say 'wind it in' you mean as if you're tightening the cable?

No two sets of instructions seems to use the same terminology. :smile:

Last edited:
How do you know which end of a barrel adjuster is the front

So when you say 'wind it in' you mean as if you're tightening the cable?

No two sets of instructions seems to use the same terminology. :smile:

No. The barrel adjuster effectively shortens and lengthens the cable housing between its two fixed points. By changing the cable housing length you are changing the distance the cable runs and the tension on the cable. Twisting the barrel adjuster into its most compact state will release the tension. Winding it fully out will increase the tension but it may also come apart as the barrel will eventually fall off the threaded runner. I'm self taught. So I don't know the 'proper' terms. But my advice is at least practical :okay:

Last edited:

Think ‘clock out’ ( clockwise moves stuff outwards ) try and either get the barrel adjuster vertical, or imagine it as vertical. ‘Outwards’ in terms of the gear mech’s is towards the small sprocket on the rear, towards the big ring on the front.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Thanks I'm getting there - last one is disc brakes and the barrel adjust is mounted on the brake unit. So looking down, clockwise would decrease the tension, moving the brake pad further out, and vice versa?

boydj

Legendary Member
Think of making the outer cable longer to tighten the inner, or shorter to slacken the inner. The appropriate way to turn the adjuster should then be obvious.

Yes it is hard to get your head round (physics never my strong point) but my basic understanding is:
brakes - screwing the thing out takes the pads closer.
Gears at the bar adjuster - anti-clockwise tightens the cable.

Ajax Bay

Guru
@Twilkes - you 'liked' this and I'm sure rr knows what he means :notworthy: but I wouldn't want him to confuse you. Heed the advice of all others.
Think ‘clock out’ ( clockwise moves stuff outwards ) try and either get the barrel adjuster vertical, or imagine it as vertical. ‘Outwards’ in terms of the gear mech’s is towards the small sprocket on the rear, towards the big ring on the front.
For the front derailleur (FD), turning the adjuster (on the bar) clockwise (looking towards the shifter) will reduce the tension in the FD cable and the effect on the cage would be to move it not OUT but IN ie towards the frame and the inner chainring. His 'rule of thumb' is correct at the rear. "Imagine it as vertical" is not useful - it could mean one of two orientations - which is the whole point of your OP question.

Last edited:
Top Bottom