Base Layer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Could you wear a S/S cycling jersey under another S/S cycling jersey in warm weather seeing that a base layer is mostly made up of polyester the same material as a jersey?Would it have the same wicking effect?
I've got a long ride on Sunday and i've only got L/S base layers and don't really want to wear them with a S/S jersey.
Maybe a stupid question but if you don't ask you'll never know.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes although the pockets and zips might be a bit scratchy. I’d personally go SS and gilet. Do you need a baselayer?

I always have a baselayer.
Do you have anything like a finishers shirt for a run ? I sometimes wear those.
My best base layer is a Rapha tribute from Aldi and it was about a fiver.

I don't think a bike top underneath another would be as nice.

I generally use a plain wicking T shirt if any base layer is required. Stacking rear pockets and zips can get uncomfortable.
Base layer under a short sleeved shirt can add a bit of wind baffle on a cooler day, and provide some shirt-on-shirt sliding action to reduce road rash if you fall off.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
could you take a pair of scissors to one of the L/S or are they also a heavier weight material.

the real answer is buy some short sleeve base layer(s) as summer is here.

craft cool mesh bought when on offer is what i swear by...prendas sed to do them, but a quick google reveal Merlin are on the case too. order today and you'll have them before the weekend.

https://www.merlincycles.com/craft-..._medium=Affiliates&utm_campaign=genieshopping

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The purpose of the base layer is to move the sweat to the outer layers where it can evaporate. If you wear two cycle jerseys you’re just putting barriers in the way of that process. Why do you feel you need to wear two equivalent layers?

figbat

Slippery scientist
The purpose of the base layer is to move the sweat to the outer layers where it can evaporate. If you wear two cycle jerseys you’re just putting barriers in the way of that process. Why do you feel you need to wear two equivalent layers?

For me the base layer has to be close-fitting and I always wear one. If the ride will start colder and warm up I'll wear a L/S base layer under a S/S jersey and then roll the sleeves up later on.

gcogger

In warm weather I've found that a base layer warms me up, so I use just a short sleeved jersey (made from a wicking fabric).

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
sunday i had some thin arm warmers and took a packable gilet , tbh i didnt need the gilet .
Commuting to work on early shift im still in the above with a base layer , leg warmers and a gilet !

Top Bottom