Is it ever too hot to wear a base layer?

Is it ever too hot to wear a base layer

• Yes. I ditch my base layer when the roads start to melt

Votes: 21 30.4%
  • No, I always wear a base layer

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • No, I never wear a base layer when I am down to short sleeve jersey

Votes: 23 33.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
What's a base layer?

Your skin. Joking aside it purely a layer designed to be worn against the skin. A cycle jersey and t shirt fall into the category.

Last edited:

DogmaStu

You say high end kit keeps you sweat free @DogmaStu , don't you mean it wicks it away? Unless you're Prince Andrew of course :smile:

I wrote "Summer cycling kit that is designed to wick very well..." and went on to explain that in my personal experience, the high-end stuff does this very well indeed.

That's not to say the less expensive kit isn't good but I'm just explaining that there is a reason the top flight kit is a bit better and wicking effect and keeping you cool is one of them.

DogmaStu

They might, but it’s still a base layer regardless.

Indeed, by its very definition, anything worn underneath another garment is a base layer. It's just a question of whether that base layer is appropriate for what the wearer wants it to achieve really.

A Winter base layer to keep warmer should be different to one worn in the Summer where wicking and keeping cool are priorities and there are some really good ones out there. It's a personal preference of mine not to wear one though since I've found my jerseys are good enough at doing the wicking job.

Jameshow

Veteran
I don't wear base layers whilst cycling as if the day warms up you don't have any pockets for phone tool kit etc.

I do however like a loose base layer for evening wear when camping!

PK99

Legendary Member
Indeed, by its very definition, anything worn underneath another garment is a base layer.

No, a base layer is the layer closest to the skin and usually a close/tight fit

Plus there is a difference between base layer - role, to keep the body dry by wicking
And a thermal layer - role, to keep the body warm

In winter I would often wear three layers
base (wicking),
mid (thermal)
outer (wind/waterproof)

DogmaStu

No, a base layer is the layer closest to the skin and usually a close/tight fit

Plus there is a difference between base layer - role, to keep the body dry by wicking
And a thermal layer - role, to keep the body warm

In winter I would often wear three layers
base (wicking),
mid (thermal)
outer (wind/waterproof)

Being pedantic, yes, you are correct if you are multi-layering beyond simply a base layer and outer garment.

A base layer can, however, be both wicking and insulating too making it ideal for keeping warm too.

Mike_P

Guru
Unexpected benefit of wearing a short sleeve baselayer (61% polyester 39% Merino wool) today was getting caught in a downpour and still feeling relatively dry in the torso. It was my socks and shoes that felt were noticeably damp which if I took a waterproof top with me would still have occurred.

Top Bottom