Is it ever too hot to wear a base layer?

Is it ever too hot to wear a base layer

• Yes. I ditch my base layer when the roads start to melt

Votes: 21 30.4%
  • No, I always wear a base layer

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • No, I never wear a base layer when I am down to short sleeve jersey

Votes: 23 33.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
Base layer always.

Either a Helly Hansen (short or long sleeve) or one of these (pricey but very effective):

https://saddleback.co.uk/products/sportful-2nd-skin-mesh-sleeveless

Yes, pricey indeed. I have a couple of Craft mesh thingies

vickster

Legendary Member
I have a craft string vest type thing but it’s too hot on a warm day! The semi baselayer wicks well on the bits where I actually seem to perspire most!

OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

I have a craft string vest type thing but it’s too hot on a warm day! The semi baselayer wicks well on the bits where I actually seem to perspire most!

I have some full zip jerseys, so can regulate temperature to some degree by unzipping and letting my belly (wrapped in base layer, like a beef joint) flop out. Then zip up for descents (after breathing in).

Without a base layer that may not be an option for female riders?

Have not been riding long enough to decide what works for me but felt very hot yesterday on a Welsh hill. It was very humid too. But was grateful for my base layer on the descent and when I got caught in a monsoon-like downpour

vickster

Legendary Member
I have some full zip jerseys, so can regulate temperature to some degree by unzipping and letting my belly (wrapped in base layer, like a beef joint) flop out. Then zip up for descents (after breathing in).

Have not been riding long enough to decide what works for me but felt very hot yesterday on a Welsh hill. It was very humid too. But was grateful for my base layer on the descent and when I got caught in a monsoon-like downpour

Never felt the need. I can unzip to top of cleavage. I wouldn’t expose my gut anyhow. As a larger woman get enough crap called at me on a bike already :angry:

gcogger

I imagine it's different for different people. For me (I run very hot and sweat profusely!), a base layer simply makes me hotter, and the difference is not subtle. So it's a base layer to keep warm in the winter, otherwise not at all.
I wonder if some of it is to do with the fabric the jersey is made from? Many 'technical' fabrics these days feel kind of shiny and 'plastic-ey' on the inside, which makes them rather uncomfortable without a base layer when sweating. I avoid those if I can help it, and try to find fabrics that feel nicer against the skin.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It really depends on what base layer.....

I have a craft cool mesh or two for summer use. Its defo more comfortable with the base layer than without, even when its roastingly hot.

There are other base layers I have that wouldn't want to wear in the summer.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I always wear a compression base layer - in fact this weekend I was out on a MTB ride for 6 hours with my Wahoo telling the local temperature reached 33°C and I was in a short-sleeved compression top plus a short-sleeved cycling jersey. In the winter the compression layer goes on first, then whatever thermal base layers I want, then the mid and outer layers.

OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

I always wear a compression base layer - in fact this weekend I was out on a MTB ride for 6 hours with my Wahoo telling the local temperature reached 33°C and I was in a short-sleeved compression top plus a short-sleeved cycling jersey. In the winter the compression layer goes on first, then whatever thermal base layers I want, then the mid and outer layers.

I have not heard about compression layers, as a road cyclist should I?

Alex321

Veteran
For me, I only wear a base layer when the temperature is down somewhere around zero Celsius or lower.

But as I have mentioned before, I just don't feel the cold as much as many people do - my wife reckons I don't feel the heat as much either, though I'm not so sure about that myself.

Reactions: C R

Alex321

Veteran

I suspect the majority of adult female riders will be wearing a sports bra that gives pretty good coverage of the bits they probably don't want on show. At least the ones who are serious enough to be wearing cycling jerseys.

Jameshow

Veteran
I don't wear a base layer unless it's very unlikely to be warm, then I'll wear one under a thermal jersey usually a technical t shirt.

Usually I'll wear a short sleeve cycling jersey for the extra pockets.

I don't sweat much though and when it's really hot the sweat dries instantly.

Top Bottom