Is it ever too hot to wear a base layer?

Is it ever too hot to wear a base layer

• Yes. I ditch my base layer when the roads start to melt

Votes: 21 30.4%
  • No, I always wear a base layer

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • No, I never wear a base layer when I am down to short sleeve jersey

Votes: 23 33.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
Many 'technical' fabrics these days feel kind of shiny and 'plastic-ey' on the inside, which makes them rather uncomfortable without a base layer when sweating. I avoid those if I can help it, and try to find fabrics that feel nicer against the skin.
I don't like tight fitting stuff in hot weather, it just feels hotter, which is why I prefer an ordinary loose T shirt. I also roll the waistband of my Lycra shorts down to hip level.

Generally though, overheating is less of a problem on the bike than walking because you have a faster airflow, and don't have heavy boots, thick socks, and a rucksack insulating your back.

Julia9054

Guru
I have Giro bib shorts the top of which is like a mesh halter neck base layer so no extra base layer is needed.

OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
I often will wear a base layer without another layer above. A base layer after all is just snug and fast wicking against the skin. I’ve got a craft mesh one that’s great for keeping cool, once it’s above about 22C.

I expect that in a recumbent you don't need or can't use jersey pockets?

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
I have Giro bib shorts the top of which is like a mesh halter neck base layer so no extra base layer is needed.

Sounds great. But what about going to the loo? Both for men who tend to pull down the front of their bib shorts and for women who need to extricate themselves somewhat?

PK99

Legendary Member
I hot weather, very lightweight skintight baselayer under short sleeve summer top wicks away that clammy sweaty feeing and is cooler.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I expect that in a recumbent you don't need or can't use jersey pockets?

Don’t wear cycling tops on the recumbent. Just base layers or general outdoor walking or running shirts or mountaineering tops etc. I wear walking shorts, and running or yoga tights in colder months as clearly no padded clothing necessary. Anything light, fast wicking, with stretch does the job. Much cheaper than cycling gear as well.

There's an old urban myth about wearing a base layer in summer as it helps wick away sweat. That's been debunked though another layer just makes it more complex for heat to escape. The biggest perpetrators of the myth are those selling base layers.
Where I'll sometimes wear one, is when its started chilly or I'm protecting my milk bottle chest from the sun but ordinarily I wont wear one if its warm enough.

Julia9054

Guru
Sounds great. But what about going to the loo? Both for men who tend to pull down the front of their bib shorts and for women who need to extricate themselves somewhat?

It’s halter neck so you just lift the neck bit over your head and pull them down. When finished , feed the elastic up the front of your jersey and back over the head. Job done!
Wouldn’t work for men!

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I always wear (usually just) a base layer.. bourne more out of neccessity as I own very little cycling-specific clothing and these are the least-inappropriate alternatives I have. Summer: sleeves rolled up. Mild spring / autumn: sleeves rolled down. Winter: fleece and maybe other stuff on top..

Last edited:

DogmaStu

It all depends upon the quality of the clothing and the job it is designed to do.

I've got a lot of cycling kit and addicted to buying it :laugh:

Summer cycling kit that is designed to wick very well and is light so as not to feel tight - even when a race fit - is the coolest option available in my own experience. This is why high-end kit costs so much; the really good Summer kits from Santini, Castelli, Assos etc are fantastic at keeping you cool, sweat-free and with my lightest jerseys, don't even feel there.

I've lived most of my life in hot countries and cycled in high 30C's, low 40C's and always felt comfortable with the right kit and no need for a base layer. I never arrive home after a ride feeling sweaty and definitely not dripping - my jersey's I've worn this last week here in the UK haven't even been damp when I got home.

Winter, different story, base layer for warmth and I have several different types from light to heavy.

Top Bottom