Is it ever too hot to wear a base layer?

Is it ever too hot to wear a base layer

• Yes. I ditch my base layer when the roads start to melt

Votes: 21 30.4%
  • No, I always wear a base layer

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • No, I never wear a base layer when I am down to short sleeve jersey

Votes: 23 33.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
I grew up in the Middle East and my dad always wore a vest under his shirt to work, even when it was 40 degrees. I put it in the same baffling category as drinking coffee in the hot weather.

Now that I cycle, i'm told that a base layer is a good idea. A string vest for wicking in hot weather. Should I ditch my best in the heat wave?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A base layer for me in all weathers. Vest for the summer & warmer months, long sleeve for the winter & colder months

vickster

Legendary Member
I always wear a semi base layer being a woman but I don't wear anything else under a summer jersey. If it's hot enough for just a SS jersey, nothing else needed

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I normally DO wear a base layer but I cooked on a sunny ride (low 20s) a week or so back and had to take it off mid- ride.

My Glasson Dock ride on Saturday was in temperatures reaching close to 30C so I left the base layer off and wore a very lightweight jersey... I felt very comfortable!

I will not be wearing a base layer on hot days again!

presta

Guru
If it's hot I wear the absolute minimum, which is: a white T shirt, Lycra shorts, socks, shoes, and Presta's patent sun hat. Nothing else.

presta

Guru
If it's hot I wear the absolute minimum, which is: a white T shirt, Lycra shorts, socks, shoes, and Presta's patent sun hat. Nothing else.

The best weather I ever had was touring Kent/Sussex/Surrey/Hants in 2010. I spent the whole 10 days wearing the above kit, and the warm clobber never came out of the pannier.

I think the pros wear them even on hot afternoon stages in the south of France, Spain etc. (there are a few exception, but cylists are awkward bu99ers ... )

I don't think I understand every aspect of the science, but maybe the sweat wicking talk is about right? In hot weather I now use the meshy types. my favourite ever thing was a snug 100-weigth merino t-shirt/base (from on-One, IIRC) which was lovely in hot and mild weathers.

OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
In the mid thirties weather last year I tried wearing a very light jersey both with and without a mesh base layer (on the same day / on the same ride). I was distinctly drier and cooler with the mesh base layer on, as expected, so I won't be experimenting again.

Do you think it matters if it is humid or dry?

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
In the mid thirties weather last year I tried wearing a very light jersey both with and without a mesh base layer (on the same day / on the same ride). I was distinctly drier and cooler with the mesh base layer on, as expected, so I won't be experimenting again.
+1 for this. I feel the base layer wicks the sweat better than a jersey, feels a lot more comfy. Sleeveless for when it's warmer.

Top Bottom