1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Basil panniers, has anyone tried them?

Discussion in 'Components, Accessories and Clothing' started by ADarkDraconis, 8 Feb 2018.

Tags:
  1. DM23

DM23 New Member

I'll start by saying I'm mostly a fair-weather cyclist so I haven't tried it out in a downpour (and I'm unlikely to unless I get caught out by the weather!) but the zip copes fine with light rain.

ADarkDraconis likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    ADarkDraconis

ADarkDraconis Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link! I like the look and waterproof-ness, but it seems a lot of people have had problems with the attachment parts coming loose/not working properly. I would be wary of that.

3. OP
    OP
    ADarkDraconis

She is as well, she doesn't like rain but we live in a very wildcard weather area so it can show up at a moment's notice. It helps to be prepared, lol! I will send her the link, it is adorable and right up her alley! Thanks so much!!!

DM23 likes this.
  4. Liz Su

Liz Su Über Member

I think Ortlieb are the best really. If you are going to use them and will get your monies worth then I think they are a good investment.
    If however they are just going to be used for a few days per year I'd go with a cheaper option.

5. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

:laugh: Our Basils are in near-daily service. I couldn't be doing with those flaming roll tops everyday - I switched from an alpkit seatpack to a canvas saddlebag to get away from it. Each to their own!

ADarkDraconis likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    ADarkDraconis

Ortlieb are nice, but I can't see spending more on the bags than I did on the bike... :laugh: (true I got it new/used, but still.) My brother uses his Topeak daily and though they weren't super expensive they have held up well, he even recommended them to me but I wanted something a bit more stylish. I'm sure Ortlieb makes glorious products, but really nice ones can also be had for less and still used every day. I, like mjr, am also not big on rolltop bags (too much fussiness.)