Battery Theft

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

london biker

I have been using the Yose kit for 18 months. It has worked well. But it has an issue.
The battery is too easy to steal. It took a thief less than a minute to remove it. The theft was caught on my cctv.
I contacted Yose to suggest they focus on a better way of fixing the battery holder to the bikes crossbar. Using steel in the holder as well as plastic perhaps? Maybe even having some form of wrap around lock (to wrap around the crossbar and the battery) as an extra. They were completely disinterested. Their only substantive response was that I should have removed the battery when leaving the bike. Overnight that’s ok. But not when shopping etc.
Disappointing.
Had I known about this design deficiency or the level of disinterest from customer services I would not have chosen Yose.
The video showing the criminal is available….Battery and holder removed in broad daylight in less than a minute.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'm not familiar with the Yose kit but theft will always be a problem for add on kits.
Maybe someone on here will offer a a secure solution,?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
looking at the product its a throttle rather than an assist?
im sure someone who knows more will know but its a legal grey area regarding the legailty of the system in the uk

classic33

Leg End Member
I have been using the Yose kit for 18 months. It has worked well. But it has an issue.
The battery is too easy to steal. It took a thief less than a minute to remove it. The theft was caught on my cctv.
I contacted Yose to suggest they focus on a better way of fixing the battery holder to the bikes crossbar. Using steel in the holder as well as plastic perhaps? Maybe even having some form of wrap around lock (to wrap around the crossbar and the battery) as an extra. They were completely disinterested. Their only substantive response was that I should have removed the battery when leaving the bike. Overnight that’s ok. But not when shopping etc.
Disappointing.
Had I known about this design deficiency or the level of disinterest from customer services I would not have chosen Yose.
The video showing the criminal is available….Battery and holder removed in broad daylight in less than a minute.
Sadly, for an increasing number of companies, there is no interest on their part once the item is sold.

Drago

Legendary Member
Don't leave high value portable items in public if you dont want them stolen. You wouldn't leave your wallet or watch clipped to the bike, so why a battery of potentially similar value? Its hardly their fault or problem if the manufacturer supply a highly effective anti theft measure and you dant be troubled to avail yourself of it.

49% of burglaries, for example, in the UK are via insecure doors or windows. No point not doing everything you could to protect your property and then phoning Everest or Yale to complain after the event.

Last edited:
One of the things I would look at very carefully if I was buying another ebike is how easy it is to remove the battery to take it with you

There seems to be a move to "hide" it away so the bike looks less like an ebike
But on some this comes at the expense of having the battery difficult to remove properly
But in most cases a thief who knew what they are doing could get it off with a crowbar in a few seconds

IMO an ebike with no battery is just a bunch of cheap parts to a thief - no-one is going to pay much for something that they have to spend hundreds for a battery on just to get it going
If it has the battery then it is worth stealing because it can be sold for far more

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
One of the things I would look at very carefully if I was buying another ebike is how easy it is to remove the battery to take it with you

There seems to be a move to "hide" it away so the bike looks less like an ebike
But on some this comes at the expense of having the battery difficult to remove properly
But in most cases a thief who knew what they are doing could get it off with a crowbar in a few seconds

IMO an ebike with no battery is just a bunch of cheap parts to a thief - no-one is going to pay much for something that they have to spend hundreds for a battery on just to get it going
If it has the battery then it is worth stealing because it can be sold for far more

Agree. I had a Wisper e-bike and the battery had a lock and key; I still took it out whenever left in the open, and also brought it in the house at night instead of leaving in the garage. It's like a lock and chain; takes an extra few seconds to do but better than forking out for a new battery and quite possibly a new bike if damaged due to theft

Disappointing.

If you're getting a replacement battery have a look a security kits for things like laptops, you might be able to find something that adds an anchor point to the battery and then you can lock it to the frame.

My own battery locks to the frame, and has a handle that I could use to put another lock through and around the frame.

Mine locks to the frame - but the procedure to unlock it and take it away if not the same as your average nobhead would use to steal it
They are more likely to think in terms of crowbar and ignore any frame damage

if it isn't there then that problem is averted
of course - you then have to carry around a heavy, lumpy large thing while you are away

Our folder - which has a dead battery at the moment - has the battery in the frame so it isn;t obvious but I still wouldn;t leave it if possible in spite of the faffing about needed to remove it

YOSE POWER

Disappointing.
Dear customer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on our Yose Power kit. We appreciate your input and are always looking for ways to improve our products and services.

We are sorry to hear that you have experienced an issue with the battery theft. We understand that this is a frustrating experience.

In the meantime, we suggest removing the battery when the bicycle is unattended because it is an effective method to prevent theft.

We understand that this measure may not be convenient, but it does help to protect the bike and battery from theft.

We appreciate your understanding and we are committed to providing our customers with the best possible products and services.

Thanks for your support.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Dear customer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on our Yose Power kit. We appreciate your input and are always looking for ways to improve our products and services.

We are sorry to hear that you have experienced an issue with the battery theft. We understand that this is a frustrating experience.

In the meantime, we suggest removing the battery when the bicycle is unattended because it is an effective method to prevent theft.

We understand that this measure may not be convenient, but it does help to protect the bike and battery from theft.

We appreciate your understanding and we are committed to providing our customers with the best possible products and services. Thanks for you support.

Perfectly, completely, utterly, reasonable and very polite.

Top Bottom