BBC Broadcast of Scotland's toughest cycle event

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
A great program. In another life, with different legs, I'd love to be doing something like that.

With the demise of the Friday Night Rides to the Coast, I've decided to give Audax a go next year. To this end I've been researching the weird world of Audax abbreviations and terminology (WWAAAT).

After watching and enjoying that program with my wife, I proceeded to try to explain what I've learned so far about Brevets, BPs, BRs, CEs, ECEs, SRs, RRTYs, AAA, DIYs (by GPS), AUK, ACP, LEL, and PBP. Before I'd exhausted my small but growing store of knowledge she was in fits of laughter and said "Is this a bit like jazz?" (Referring to Charlie Parker's comment about the complexity of Bebop: "If they can't play it, they can't steal it").

I'm doing my first one in January (a BP with AAA). Plenty of revision time left.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
It's the reality of long distance cycling. What would you think the "advert" should be? Soft pillows and a warm shower?
It's one of the reasons I stopped long distance motorbike rallying. At some point the safety pixies will give it a long hard look. There's also not much fun in waking up to realise that you're doing 50mph down the M8 and your 'reptile brain' has decided it needs more processing power to deal with the fast approaching car bumper. That was on my first 1000 mile 24 hour ride. The bonus is you learn to sleep anywhere.

Best story was from the Iron Butt Rally, a guy was feeling sleepy so pulled up in an underpass, put his bike on the centrestand and went to sleep on it fully kitted up (a common tactic, I've done it in a Texan truck stop at 3am (USA coast to coast in under 50 hours)) when he woke up he'd completely forgotten that he'd done this deliberately, saw the concrete wall right in front of him and promptly crashed the bike at 0mph.

I enjoyed watching it and a lot of the roads were familiar which helps you realize what a tough undertaking it was, especially North of Ullapool. I'd have disqualified the Swedes though :smile:

Tim Hall

After watching and enjoying that program with my wife, I proceeded to try to explain what I've learned so far about Brevets, BPs, BRs, CEs, ECEs, SRs, RRTYs, AAA, DIYs (by GPS), AUK, ACP, LEL, and PBP. Before I'd exhausted my small but growing store of knowledge she was in fits of laughter and said "Is this a bit like jazz?" (Referring to Charlie Parker's comment about the complexity of Bebop: "If they can't play it, they can't steal it").

You could have answered with a bit of Louis Armstrong: "Man, if you have to ask what it is, you’ll never know."

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Just watched it. Fantastic programme. Scotland looks stunning in it.. but the midges... ughhh.

Well done @zigzag for getting on with it after your off...
In fact I think you will have to change your handle to 'Crashy' :thumbsup:

zigzag

Veteran
.....but did anyone think that the finish point of Saltcoats may have been an anti-climax?

most audaxes are like that (with the exception of "straight outta hackney 200"). even the finish of pbp with the thousands of riders participating felt grim and empty at 4am in the morning.. i think it's an accelerated wind-down back into reality, into a very different world. the good memories from the rides, though, remain forever!

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
.....but did anyone think that the finish point of Saltcoats may have been an anti-climax?
Dunno never been there but i bet the finishers still felt on top of the world.

Great film, all the riders came across as pleasant people as well as incredibly tough and determined.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
A great program. In another life, with different legs, I'd love to be doing something like that.

With the demise of the Friday Night Rides to the Coast, I've decided to give Audax a go next year. To this end I've been researching the weird world of Audax abbreviations and terminology (WWAAAT).

I'm doing my first one in January (a BP with AAA). Plenty of revision time left.
Demise? No, no, no. Rebirth.
Intending to do at least one 200 and possibly a 300 next year.

Top Bottom