BBC Broadcast of Scotland's toughest cycle event

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DavidD

I know Saltcoats very well as it's not far from where I live and I must admit I laughed when I saw it named on the TV programme as the finish. Saltcoats was my childhood holiday home as my grandparents retired there when I was very young and have some great memories of the town, although I wouldn't describe it as a quaint fishing village.
One of the things that surprised me about the programme was how little the cyclists carried gear and luggage wise as I thought they would have needed to carry a lot more.
Really enjoyed the programme though and the scenery was fantastic as was the weather

marcusjb

I agree , I would of finished it in Ardrossan just to add a touch of glamour .

Ardrossan would have made the minimum distance fall below 1300km, so wouldn't have worked.

Saltcoats was just fine - and the pub was a weatherspoons, so cheap food and drink (all most Audaxers care about at the end of a long ride). And with calorie content next to each dish on the menu, we were able to choose food based on that all important parameter (most calorific item was a huge frankfurter covered in haggis with chips).

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
No other Audax has bare-chested men at the side of the road cheering you home, so on that factor alone, I would give it 11 out of 10 "would ride again".
I did wonder if the TV crew put them up to it. It all just seemed a bit too convenient and while the TV guys seemed really nice (it's rare they appear in a show they are making) it doesn't stop them being media types.

Not that the cause takes away from what it must have felt like to have it happen...

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
More likely the locals saw the TV crew getting ready to film, asked "Wazza' aboot ?" :tired:, then 'agreed' to line the route and cheer the riders in :bravo:, as even the locals would recognize the effort required. :cheers:

Disclaimer: I haven't watched the programme yet :blush:

DavidD

Ardrossan would have made the minimum distance fall below 1300km, so wouldn't have worked.

Saltcoats was just fine - and the pub was a weatherspoons, so cheap food and drink (all most Audaxers care about at the end of a long ride). And with calorie content next to each dish on the menu, we were able to choose food based on that all important parameter (most calorific item was a huge frankfurter covered in haggis with chips).

well done on completing what looked like a very difficult bike ride, I am very curious as to what your allowed to take gear wise, is it just a matter of the absolute basics or can you take as much as you like. Some people had what looked like a lot of luggage while others such as the swedish road train seemed to be carrying next to nothing.

just jim

I really enjoyed this programme and seeing all the places I've cycled on separate tours joined up into such an epic ride.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
well done on completing what looked like a very difficult bike ride, I am very curious as to what your allowed to take gear wise, is it just a matter of the absolute basics or can you take as much as you like. Some people had what looked like a lot of luggage while others such as the swedish road train seemed to be carrying next to nothing.
You are allowed to carry as much or as little as you like. Of course the more you carry the more you have to lug up the hills. Also, as long as it's human powered you can ride any bike you like. I've seen trikes, recumbents and even Elliptigos on rides :smile:

Anyone know how the guys seat broke.

I'm totally guessing at it as a weaker 2 bolt system or being a carbon.
I don't think it broke. I think the bolts were a bit loose and it fell off. He seemed ok after the ferry, and there's no bike shop in Armadale.

zigzag

Veteran
Anyone know how the guys seat broke.

I'm totally guessing at it as a weaker 2 bolt system or being a carbon.

the bolts were tightened without grease, so I assume that due to the friction in threads optimal clamping force was not achieved so the bolts unscrewed. tightened them on a ferry and all was fine until the finish. carbon seatposts are not only stronger and lighter than alloy, but most importantly are more comfortable as they (combined with carbon saddle rails) have a fair bit of spring and absorb vibration - which is important on long rides.

Top Bottom