BBC TV licensing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
It's true. The description of the fee is to watch live television.

I don't have a TV or a licence and I don't watch live TV. But if I wanted to watch the TdF and purchased a months Eurosport subscription to stream it over the internet then I suspect they would want me to have a TV licence. But 1. I don't have a TV and 2. in what way has the fee gone to delivering the moving images to me?

Here's the wording from TV licensing

A TV Licence is a legal permission to install or use television equipment to receive (i.e. watch or record) live TV programmes, regardless of which channel you're watching, which device you are using (TV, computer, laptop, mobile phone or any other), and how you receive them (terrestrial, satellite, cable, via the internet or any other way).

The licence fee is not a subscription to watch BBC programmes but mandated by law. Under the Communications Act 2003, the BBC in its role as the licensing authority has a duty to issue TV Licences and collect the licence fee.

And for the people who still think you need a license to own a TV here's some more info.

Is a TV Licence required to own a television set?

You don’t need a TV Licence to own or possess a television set. However, if you use it to watch programmes as they are being shown on TV then you need a TV Licence in order to do so.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/about/foi-legal-framework-AB16/

Last edited:

earth

I'm not questioning the wording. I'm saying there is no right to the law.

By their own definition the fee has to be paid regardless of the channel you watch. All channels except the BBC are self funded and when using the internet or indeed cable or satellite as the delivery system the cost of that delivery system is met by self funding private organisations. Yet their fee covers the use of the self funded delivery systems to view self funded channels and the recipient is the BBC who has played no part in delivering the material.

The fee is the equivalent of requiring a license to read a book.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
The point about catch up TV is interesting. Most of the TV transmitted is pre-recorded. They do not transmit Eastenders live as it is being acted. Some wouldn't call what they do acting at all. So you are not receiving live TV you are receiving a transmission of a recording.

Although the distinction seems odd today, much tv material ever made has only been repeated 2 or 3 times, if at all. It has then ended up in giant archives never to be seen again apart from researchers who may use snippets.

It is in that context that the concept of 'live' tv actually becomes more meaningful. That is the material is 'worth' more/at all at the time of transmission (where we can argue pedantically for what period of time that means).

The BBC did actually own the transmitter assets in the past.

The point about the whole debate is every ten years (whatever you think) the royal charter is rubber stamped and the problem of what to do about the future is lobbed down the road.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!

By their own definition the fee has to be paid regardless of the channel you watch. All channels except the BBC are self funded and when using the internet or indeed cable or satellite as the delivery system the cost of that delivery system is met by self funding private organisations. Yet their fee covers the use of the self funded delivery systems to view self funded channels and the recipient is the BBC who has played no part in delivering the material.

It's more like the VED on a car, except with the TV Licence you get the equivalent of some free fuel.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Never had a TV Licence, But then I've never felt the need to have a TV. The only thing that gets up my nose is the 'implied' obligation to respond to TV Licencing junk mail and the 'implied' right of access to my home. Neither of those implied obligations/rights actually exists. Currently am "Under Investigation" or at least an "Investigation has been authorised". Apparently it is suspicious behaviour to not wish to watch television!!!!!
I'm under investigation too... but they haven't managed to work out what my name is, so I'm still 'the occupier'. They could correlate my past correspondence with TV licensing and the electoral role and work out who lives at my address... but their powers of investigation don't seem to stretch that far. If they asked me nicely, I might even lend them my residents parking pass so they can park their detector van outside for the day.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I realise that the final say on any interpretation of a law belongs with the appropriate court but I recently came across this paper which indicates that the government accepts the BBC's interpretations.

The BBC, as licensing authority, has responsibility for interpreting the television licensing legislation and determining licensing requirements in individual cases. (Lord Davies of Oldham)

Also,
Interpretation of television licence fee regulations is a matter for the BBC as television licensing authority. The Corporation has confirmed its view that, under the current regulations, a colour TV licence is required to install or use a digital set top box to receive television programme services, even if it is used only with a black and white television set The Government accept the Corporation’s legal interpretation on this point. (Mr Woodward)

GC

earth

And as I'll point out to you, yet again, what you are posting is the TV Licensing simplification and interpretation of the law - it isn't the law. The law is Section 363 Part 4 of the Communications Act 2003.

Simples!

Can you quote it for us please.

Venod

Eh up
And as I'll point out to you, yet again, what you are posting is the TV Licensing simplification and interpretation of the law - it isn't the law. The law is Section 363 Part 4 of the Communications Act 2003.

Simples!

Look at the page in the link I posted it clearly says you do not need a license to own a TV, I do not understand why you keep saying the TV licensing authority is simplifying things.

Section 363 Part 4 of the Communications Act 2003. also says.

(6)The Secretary of State may by regulations exempt from the requirement of a licence under subsection (1) the installation or use of television receivers—

(a)of such descriptions,

(b)by such persons,

(c)in such circumstances, and

(d)for such purposes,

as may be provided for in the regulations.

(7)Regulations under subsection (6) may make any exemption for which such regulations provide subject to compliance with such conditions as may be specified in the regulations.

ASC1951

Guru
... which are never free.

Venod

Eh up

I have to agree with you, it is a bizarre situation, you have to have the license to watch any live TV but only the Beeb benefits.

Top Bottom