BBC TV licensing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Slight touch of a massive Daily Mail generalisation there don't you think?

BBC corrupt and growing hatred towards it.

Don't think so.

Sandra6

Veteran
We moved out of our our house just over two years ago, leaving it empty while on the market.
I got a new TV licence for my new address and TV licensing started sending letters "to the occupier" about a month later.
They send a letter approx once every month. The last letter said they would be calling to investigate if a television was in use at the property - it actually is now as my son is living there - but that was a month ago.
I imagine you can dodge them easily for a good year or so, then just don't answer the door.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I agree on Italy, their licence fee is 2/3rds of ours and Italian tv is poor. I could watch F1, football and cycling on Italian tv.

I watch Italian TV for the excellent cycling coverage!

One of the reasons people get irritated is they realise a huge number of expats abroad have been watching the service for free for years, particularly in Spain.

That's not an easy option, you'd need quite a large satellite dish to watch BBC 1 (or actively circumvent georestrictions if watching online) , and other BBC services are run by the commercial company BBC worldwide which subsidises the licence fee.

Last edited:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
That's not an easy option, you'd need quite a large satellite dish to watch BBC 1 (or actively circumvent georestrictions if watching online) , and other BBC services are run by the commercial company BBC worldwide which subsidises the licence fee.

Not that large (small dishes are more fashionable in the UK I wonder why lol), and many do which is why I said it (funny that). Just because the BBC thought up the myth of the now no longer in service 2D being a "UK footprint" doesn't make it true. It was a convenient truth for several parties. In the past before transponder shuffles it was very easy. Widely known secret.

BBC worldwide does make loads of money out of selling programmes abroad, but of course you know that I wasn't talking about that.

As for getting around ip restrictions, that is becoming more common abroad but I didn't mention that.

Whether you like it or not, I am putting forward arguments others use.

Last edited:
U

User6179

If you don’t watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on TV, on any device, you don’t need a TV Licence. Here’s how you can let us know

A quote from TV licencing website.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

The Act is very clear. It's not just the use of a television receiver without a license that is an offence. Installing a receiver is sufficient for the offence to be made out........

ah you see.... when you said 'device', you really meant 'television receiver' didn't you.

User said:
If you have a device which is capable of allowing you to watch or record live TV

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I'm wondering if any of you guys with a bit of nous can confirm how easy it's supposed to be to 'legally' dodge the fee whilst owning a TV. I also wonder if any of you already do so.

You don't need a licence to own a TV.

If you want to watch or record programmes as they are being broadcast without having a TV licence I can't help you. You'll be committing an offence if you do.

If I've misunderstood your question, please clarify what it is you're asking.

GC

U

User6179

A reminder of the law.
The law states that you need to be covered by a TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes, on any device, as they're being shown on TV. This includes TVs, computers, mobile phones, games consoles, digital boxes and Blu-ray/DVD/VHS recorders

You don't need a licence if you don't use any of these devices to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV - for example, if you use your TV only to watch DVDs or play video games, or you only watch ‘catch up’ services like BBC iPlayer or 4oD.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Nothing I've said is inconsistent: "a device which is capable of allowing you to watch or record live TV" is a TV receiver.
it's getting stronger... i have a 'device' and with it, i can go online and go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/ and often on the iplayer, one can watch live TV... all you need is a PC and an internet connection... but no TV licence is needed for a PC and an internet connection.

U

User6179

Nothing I've said is inconsistent: "a device which is capable of allowing you to watch or record live TV" is a TV receiver.

but that's wrong, does not matter if it is capable , as long as you do not use it to watch live tv or record live tv.
If you do not believe me phone the licencing people and ask them.

Top Bottom